• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

STUMPED. No start. Tried all the usual suspects.

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
Little brothers 93 XJ ran like a top until a few days ago when he parked it. All of the sudden it wouldn't start. Cranked fine though, so not the NSS.

After a while we replaced the CPS- no start.
Tried a new TPS, IAC - no start
Checked Dist cap, cam position sensor, all temp sensors.
Have spark at the coil
Have spark at all dist cap terminals
Have spark at each individual plug.

Here is the weird part. When I tried to use starting fluid, it won't turn over or even burble. Just cranks. I can definitely smell ether coming from the tailpipe as it cranks. If I KNOW I have spark at the plugs, shouldn't the ether ignite enough to make the engine chug just a little? Also, when I pulled the plugs I could smell fresh gas on them.
Fuel rail has pressure, but I haven't checked with a gauge.

So whats the deal? Definitely sparking, probably fuel (at least starting fluid), but no start?

I thought the ignition module was only on older jeeps.

Well I do not know if this will help but it happened to mine and matthew is the one that told me :) Mine would do basically the same thing and I replaced fuel pump,flywheel sensor,dist pick up,relays and all kinds of stuff.Found a dark green/orange wire that fed the injectors 12 volts had frayed where the harness goes across the firewall and tees off to the engine.Where this wire met the 6 wires for the injectors it only had 2 strands still whole and the rest broken in two.This only gave me about 6 volts to the injectors and would not let it fire or run.These wires were not soldered but glued and crimped.Hope this might help.

Back