• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 rear wiper motor not intermittent, I want intermittent!

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So what do I need to do to get the wiper to be intermittent? My motor is bad so it has to be replaced. I have heard that the intermittent function is part of the motor assembly, true or false?

Can I use a later model rear wiper motor with the intermittent feature?

This is a picture of the intermittent wiper module in my 1990 XJ. Every other one I've personally seen has the same deal. The newer models may be different.

Other than needing the correct multi-function switch on the column with the intermittent feature, you'll need one of these. It's located just above your left knee under the dash velcro'd to the under panel. If you have it and it's not working you can get a new/used one for fairly cheap (Junk yard or ebay). Some models don't have the thing and the two halves of the harness (where the modul plugs in) are just plugged together.

I have not heard that the motor has the intermittent feature built in to the motor. The switch does the work, the motor just does the back & forth thing.

I suppose getting a switch from Lucas wouldn't really be the answer you are looking for.

Odds are good it would get you the feature however.

:jester:

The OP is talking about the rear wiper which is not controlled by the module.

Just curious for future reference what switch from Lucas Anako01 is referring to.

maybe a "flasher" type relay inline with the power? obviously a directional flasher would not give the delay you are looking for but maybe there are relays out there with longer delays?

Just curious for future reference what switch from Lucas Anako01 is referring to.

Lucas electric in general.

Commonly regarded as spawn of Satan.

Lucas headlight switches are known for their three positions: off, dim and intermittent.

It's a Brit car thing.

My attempt at humor.

Thanks and LOL...I don't know about the other posters to the thread but I will take all the humor I can get along about now....

I had always understood that intermittent wipe was managed by a relay, which obviously goes in the circuit between the switch (which does what it says, switches the circuit on and off) and the motor (which moves the actual wiper back and forth).

The rear wiper on my '93 XJ only has intermittent wipe (it won't wipe continuously), or when the switch is pushed the other way, operates washer pump and timed-wiping.

The parts catalogue I have suggests that there is a relay which controls the rear wipe (p/n 3300 1776 or 5600 6336 - depending on whether the vehicle has other stuff like power locks etc).

So has the OP's rear wiper been wired without a relay - or has the relay stuck?

Oh yes, Lucas was credited with the invention of the self-dimming headlamp, the intermittent wiper, and the Short Circuit. Old Mr Joe Lucas wasn't listening when the Lord said "let there be light...."

LOL! Thanks everyone for responding!

This XJ has been in my family since day one, my dad bought it new. It has never had an intermittent rear wiper and its annoying. My other XJ's do and I like the feature.

I guess I could put some kind of a timer into the circuit to do this. Anyideas how and what?

Correction: The Prince of Darkness.

I stand corrected.

At one level there is not much difference, but on the subject of lighting circuits "Prince of Darkness" is much more appropriate.

On my '92 and '96, the relay/intermittent timer is part of the wiper motor assembly. Take the motor out, and see if there's a sealed box attached. If not, maybe get another from the junkyard. As far as I know, you're good up till '96, as GenII was a different deal.

On my '92 and '96, the relay/intermittent timer is part of the wiper motor assembly. Take the motor out, and see if there's a sealed box attached. If not, maybe get another from the junkyard. As far as I know, you're good up till '96, as GenII was a different deal.

That is what I thought but I wanted to be sure before I get another motor. Thanks!

Back