• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Lights On?

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just got to the Jeep and noticed the brake lights were on. Very
Strange as I parked it a couple of hours ago. Jeep started
Fine but noticed voltage meter was on 13 and it is usually on 14.
I got to where I was going after driving about 30 minutes.
I turned the Jeep off and all 3 brake lights are still on.
How do I get them to
Go off?
Thanks in advance.

Had the same issue on my 99, it was the brake switch on top of the brake pedal. Play with your brake pedal and see if it goes away.

Had the same issue on my 99, it was the brake switch on top of the brake pedal. Play with your brake pedal and see if it goes away.

Thank you for the tip, it worked and the brake lights went out.

Do you know if there is a way to lubricate the switch so that this doesn't happen again?

Thanks-

I have had good luck using WD-40 (or something similiar) with sticking switches such as this. It's non-conductive so it won't short circuit the switch.

You might also need to reset the switch. If somehow the brake pedal got pulled backwards past its normal stop it could've moved the switchs resting position so now the pedal won't contact it when it returns to its normal resting spot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Thank you for the tip, it worked and the brake lights went out.

Do you know if there is a way to lubricate the switch so that this doesn't happen again?

Thanks-

I don't know about lubricating the switch (I never tried), but it's a cheap part and not so hard to replace (and I have 2 left hands, lol). I purchased original mopar and it was USA made. You need mopar 4671336AD , It can be had for less than $17 or aftermarket for even less.
If you need FSM instructions let me know.

Back