• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is square or round tubing stronger for rock sliders?

feerocknok

NAXJA Forum User
Well... Is square or round tubing stronger for rock sliders?
Or square on end?

That's all. Nothing too technical and nothing else to write.

depends on where it's hit. square is stronger if the force is on a flat side, but weaker if the force is into the corner.

that said, I use my rails as pivots a lot with a 115" wheelbase and they have lots of scratches but are not dented or bent at all. 2x2 .120 wall with 5 supports to frame and pinch seam.

a little video clip of using them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI6RHPWZ7ZM

Only 120 wall on yours?

I was thinking 2x2 .180 wall with 3 supports, or 2" round tubing with 3/16" wall.

I'm building them for a 4 door XJ.

This is probably a stupid question, but is it possible to get three-sided tubing (an equilateral triangle when viewed on end)? It seems like that would be stronger than square tubing.

MogifiedXJ said:
Round stock is always going to be stronger than square if they have the same wall thickness no matter what the application is...

couldnt be farther from the truth actually...

Last edited:
XJ_ranger said:
couldnt be farther from the truth actually...
It may have to be slightly larger than the square stock in order to retain the same rigidity, but it will be stronger maintaining the same wall thickness as the square material. The round cross sectional area will handle both torsional and axial loads much better than square or rectangular tubing will. This is because of the way the forces or stress is displaced around the entire circumference of the round area, wheras the stresses placed on the square stock will be amplified in the corners and in the seams. It's the same reason you never see a square hole in a car frame, the corners give stress risers and fractures a place to occur. By design round has equal strength in all directions. A circular shape simply spreads the load more evenly than the square or rectangular shape. The weakest part about square tubing is the corners. A round tube is a continuous corner and therefore very strong. A round tube may not be as stiff as a peice of square stock of the same dimension but that is eaisly fixed by increasing its diameter or wall thickness. Now, would you care to eloborate as to why you think square tubing is stronger the round tubing? There just rock sliders...it's not going to make that much difference either way. Just use which ever one you like best. I personally just don't like using square tubing on my rigs. If you don't have access to a bender and notcher, the square material is proabably going to be easier to work with. If you use square I would recommed atleast a 3/16" wall thickness...I would use 1/4" but I like over kill...

Last edited:
MogifiedXJ said:
It may have to be slightly larger than the square stock in order to retain the same rigidity, but it will be stronger maintaining the same wall thickness as the square material. The round cross sectional area will handle both torsional and axial loads much better than square or rectangular tubing will. This is because of the way the forces or stress is displaced around the entire circumference of the round area, wheras the stresses placed on the square stock will be amplified in the corners and in the seams. It's the same reason you never see a square hole in a car frame, the corners give stress risers and fractures a place to occur. By design round has equal strength in all directions. A circular shape simply spreads the load more evenly than the square or rectangular shape. The weakest part about square tubing is the corners. A round tube is a continuous corner and therefore very strong. A round tube may not be as stiff as a peice of square stock of the same dimension but that is eaisly fixed by increasing its diameter or wall thickness. Now, would you care to eloborate as to why you think square tubing is stronger the round tubing? There just rock sliders...it's not going to make that much difference either way. Just use which ever one you like best. I personally just don't like using square tubing on my rigs. If you don't have access to a bender and notcher, the square material is proably going to be easier to work with. If you use square I would recommed atleast a 3/16" wall thickness...I would use 1/4" but I like over kill...

for rock sliders...the loads are mostly bending and thus a square section will be stronger. your original statement didnt say anything about size... just shape and wall thickness... as in all cases, it depends on the loading and what the intended use is.

jjvande said:
for rock sliders...the loads are mostly bending and thus a square section will be stronger. your original statement didnt say anything about size... just shape and wall thickness... as in all cases, it depends on the loading and what the intended use is.
Yes I realize my error about not mentioning the size in my original statement. Like I said they're just rock sliders...it doesn't really matter. I've got a 6000lbs+ rig and have landed it's entire wieght on mine (made of round) and have yet to bend them...Use which everone you like better and is easier to work with.

MogifiedXJ said:
Yes I realize my error about not mentioning the size in my original statement. Like I said they're just rock sliders...it doesn't really matter. I've got a 6000lbs+ rig and have landed it's entire wieght on mine (made of round) and have yet to bend them...Use which everone you like better and is easier to work with.

yep, i agree. Square looks better with the XJ IMO

jjvande said:
yep, i agree. Square looks better with the XJ IMO

I do think it comes down to personal taste. IMO, a square slider looks too ski like and doesn't add anything to the vehicle as far as bling goes. I think which looks best has something to do with how the overall rig has been built.

EJS200624.jpg

Round is stronger and is also my preferance.

Here is what I did on my MJ...

Passsideunder.jpg

Passsiderear.jpg

Driversideunderview.jpg

Driverssiderear.jpg

I chose to use four standoff as mine is a LWB and needed the additional mounting point. I welded the front and rear directly to the "frame". the center two I first welded to 3" HD angle iron, then the "frame". Its VERY STOUT. I have reoated the tars with the hilift jacking off them with nomore than 1/4" of deflection.

I used 1 3/4" POOP PIPE!! I would NEVER use this for roll cages or the like...but for dragging on rocks...its just dandy!!! Total cost of materials was just over fifty bucks too!!!

Good luck,
CW

Alrighty. They sound simple and 3/16" on the walls seems good. Curious how 120 wall does the trick for some but others need 1/4", but for my buddy, 3/16s oughta be fine.

I'll make em next weekend or the weekend after. Thanks all!

Back