• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NAXJA VS. The Others - LETS KEEP IT COMING!!

Markm80521

NAXJA Forum User
Time to dust off the soapbox for a moment...

History - Father an architect- brought up believing that why buy it if you can build it.

New hobby - have transferred that upbringing into carpentry and home restoration always as a creative outlet (business development/ Economist by trade). Started getting into metal fab (building lighting for fun) and liked what it does as far as opening up new creative avenues. Nothing can stop you if you can melt metal.

SO........ I happen to love autos and the engineering of them, building stuff for it etc. like we all kind of do. I have become inspired in that regard by fellow members such as Beezil's fantastic work (and sharp wit and sarcasm - few of us can still wield that sword well nice to see we're still out there) rev den, farmer matt, hinkley, and all the others that post here in applying my new hobby to my xj and have become a voracious reader of any and everything I can get my hands own as well as seeking out professional fabbers in my area that are willing to have an understudy.

Sitting here anxiously awaiting the start of the SEC championship tonight (GO DAWGS) I thought I would glance around the net see what other forums were out there. I have been to the jeepfabrication.com site before and found it to be a halfhearted response to the fact that everyone thinks they can sell bumpers and make millions but did find some ideas of bracket manufacturers etc. From there is a link to JU's fab. forum. Never went though until today.

(standing upright on the soapbox) Let's take moment to realize how unique this board is. We have new ideas that are tossed around that push all of us to take our hobby to new bounds. I LOVE that about this board. I have never seen such a bunch of crap in comparison as what I saw there. It was absolute worthless banter. It reminded me of being back in Atlanta and having vagrants come up at every stop light and just start cleaning my windshield EXPECTING money. The title of "fabricator forum" over there brings out not worthwhile discussion and new ideas but constant "begging" for handouts. Inundated with the image of absent-minded mullet wearing, six-toed freaks and Biff with a sweater tied around his shoulder and a rack with 4 mountain bikes tied to his landrover but "wanting to find a way to build a latte machine rack but can someone give me the dimensions" really made me shudder. I can back to this board much like a child clinging to a mother’s leg after being lost for 3 hours at an amusement park.

Just asking that everyone take a moment, take stock in what we have as a discussion board and continue to do what it takes to keep it going. I for one want to study as much as I can regarding auto steering and suspension components and see what I can add as far as new ideas are concerned. That, I think, is the spirit that we have on this board that makes it a truly worthwhile board and keeps me, and everyone else, coming back!

Whew, I feel much better. Thanks "Mom." Have a great weekend.

I'm not trying to pressure you into becoming a member(although I think it's a good thing to do), but I believe that most members of NAXJA become members(along with comraderie, sp?) because of what you have just described. NAXJA contains a wealth of knowledge that is not limited to XJs alone. I frequent JU, PBB, Jeepbbs, and NAXJA on a regular basis and find that I always end up coming back to NAXJA. I find JU to be a little on the juvenille/webwheeler side but there is the occasional post with great info, and most if not all of the knowledgeable and helpful people on JU are also here. PBB is well, PBB, harsh, hardcore, and too the point. It gets a little old when everyone thinks they're badass and "hardcore" but there's a TON of good tech info. Jeepbbs I go to for new and different ideas from mrblaine and crew as they are constantly tinkering with minor details that make a rig much much better. All in all I have found that for my tastes, NAXJA is the most well-rounded forum and I will continue to be a member as long as I have an XJ(and possibly beyond that).

Arya Ebrahimi
NAXJA Member #526

Ary'01XJ said:
I'm not trying to pressure you into becoming a member(although I think it's a good thing to do), but I believe that most members of NAXJA become members(along with comraderie, sp?) because of what you have just described. NAXJA contains a wealth of knowledge that is not limited to XJs alone. I frequent JU, PBB, Jeepbbs, and NAXJA on a regular basis and find that I always end up coming back to NAXJA. I find JU to be a little on the juvenille/webwheeler side but there is the occasional post with great info, and most if not all of the knowledgeable and helpful people on JU are also here. PBB is well, PBB, harsh, hardcore, and too the point. It gets a little old when everyone thinks they're badass and "hardcore" but there's a TON of good tech info. Jeepbbs I go to for new and different ideas from mrblaine and crew as they are constantly tinkering with minor details that make a rig much much better. All in all I have found that for my tastes, NAXJA is the most well-rounded forum and I will continue to be a member as long as I have an XJ(and possibly beyond that).

Arya Ebrahimi
NAXJA Member #526

It sounds like I'm right on with my thoughts then. I am far from"hardcore" as I'm not even sure what that entails (4x4 wise) I wheel, it's fun, if I break something I know i can fix it. I spend more time in my workshop than on the computer so I haven't sen most of the boards that you speak of. This one just works for me and challenges the imagination. IMHO it seems that the few I've seen speak of the same stuff (how much is there different to discuss) NAXJA just does it in a more indepth way. A challenge the status quo so to speak.

As far as membership, no pressure taken. When I first came to this board I registered to view and post to see what it's like and worthy of my money. I wasn't going to sign up simply because I have an XJ and they have "XJ" in the title. From what I have seen and read and experienced in the way of discussion and member's demeanor, well I'll be a member as soon as the main page gets brought back online. A very good deal indeed. As the infamous Sally Struthers once said "for the price of a cup of coffee per day, you too can experience all the love and hapiness this can bring you!"

Inundated with the image of absent-minded mullet wearing, six-toed freaks and Biff with a sweater tied around his shoulder and a rack with 4 mountain bikes tied to his landrover but "wanting to find a way to build a latte machine rack but can someone give me the dimensions" really made me shudder.

Hey I want a latte machine rack!!!! LOL

Scott

"fabricator forum" You nailed that right on the head! I thought there was some hope with the start of that board, until I realized it was a place for people to ask others to build stuff for them, or a place for people to sale stuff (??)! I was very disappointed in the direction that board took. I stay on NAXJA for the friendships and the fact that I can get good reliable tech without to much BS.

Markm80521 said:
Started getting into metal fab (building lighting for fun) and liked what it does as far as opening up new creative avenues.

I have become inspired in that regard by fellow members such as Beezil's fantastic work (and sharp wit and sarcasm - few of us can still wield that sword well nice to see we're still out there) rev den, farmer matt, hinkley, and all the others

I am truley honared to be mentioned in the same sentence with the Beezil, Matt and Mark. I am glad to have provided some inspiration, I can hope that some day we will meet on the trail.

On the subject of lighting, may I present my 10' pole lamp.

lamp.jpg

This is a 2" X .083 tubing welded to a 25 Lbs steel wieght, the tubing is notched to accept a 4' track light. This was my solution to a 22X22 great room with a 13' high ceiling,and a wife that wanted to read at her chair near the center.

Thanks again.

Rev

After having been a board user here for several months, I sent in my membership application this past Tuesday. I most likely will never attend an event unless one is held near Da Swamp...but the reason I joined is simple..

I recently gained membership in a fishing club here in central Florida in which the lakes are old phosphate pits...some are the very same pits where Bill Dance, Roland Martin, etc film some of their fishing shows. Some of the pits are very remote by florida standards, with miles of rutted/muddy track in and out. If you get stuck the only option if you can't contact another member is to call in the ONLY approved towing outfit to pull you out...Hence the old beater 85 XJ I bought with no intention of spending a dime on it other than keeping it reliable....

I found it to be the most fun vehicle I have ever owned...so the natural evolution of improvement to make it more useful/fun/reliable has led me here.
THANK GOODNESS!!! I have learned much from the fine people here...and I am glad to share what little knowledge i have gained over the years.

In this day and time where more amd more people know less and less about anything, i am dern happy to find a group of people with such diverse experience and a willingness to share that knowledge...With zero previous knowledge of the 4x4 powertrain expecially and XJ in particular, many people have not only put up with my "noob" questions, but have helped me even though they have no doubt been asked the same thing a zillion times before.

Steve Loveless, member# I dunno yet till the main page comes back.

I missed that thread back in the day but I'll TTT it. Not tryin to be brash or boastful, but NAXJA is the XJ scene. Other forums may be great for tech enlightenment or simple entertainment, but we do XJs & MJs here online and in real life... 24/7.

NAXJA Members host these forums, and hold XJ/MJ focused events all across the USA.

We always welcome folks who find value here to join in the fun.

Read these:
http://www.naxja.org/html/bylaws.htm

Then go here:
https://secure.naxja.org/html/naxjamemberapp.htm

Thanks for participating.

Woody
NAXJA President

woody said:
I missed that thread back in the day but I'll TTT it. Not tryin to be brash or boastful, but NAXJA is the XJ scene. Other forums may be great for tech enlightenment or simple entertainment, but we do XJs & MJs here online and in real life... 24/7.

NAXJA Members host these forums, and hold XJ/MJ focused events all across the USA.

We always welcome folks who find value here to join in the fun.

Read these:
http://www.naxja.org/html/bylaws.htm

Then go here:
https://secure.naxja.org/html/naxjamemberapp.htm
After that go here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93

Back