• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator leaking... not a hose.. how big a job is it to replace radiator?

tstaples

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

So my radiator seems to be leaking on my 99 XJ... i looked up the part at the local parts store and it's 130 for a new radiator.. which i'll probably do. I'm just wondering if anyone's ever replaced a radiator for a 4.0 liter 4x4 with AC before. I'm trying to get an idea of the magnitude of the job and I dont have my book with me at work.

thanks

I just changed the radiator in my '96 4.0 / AC two weeks ago. Someone had overtightened a hose clamp and cracked the plastic upper radiator nipple.

It's not hard. I set aside a whole day to do it, because my projects usually take a lot longer then they should, but it only took me a few hours. My biggest problem was getting the A/C condenser unscrewed from the radiator. On my '96, the condenser was attatched with two screws on the top that went into little rubber-encased nutplates. The nutplates just spun when I tried to unscrew it, I had to jam an open pair of needlenose pliers in there to hold the nutplate while I unscrewed it.

I would recommend getting a heavy-duty radiator. I ended up getting a Proliance Heatbuster Extreme from rockauto.com, it's a three-core all aluminum radiator that really cools much better than the stock radiator.

I would also recommend replacing your hoses now, it will be pretty east to access them with everything taken apart. The only hose I didn't replace, the little hose that drains coolant into the bottle, was the one that ultimately ended up leaking.

There are a number of websites that I found helpful with lots on info on changing radiators. I can look them up when I get home if you like.

yea.. that'd be awesome if you could look up those websites for me. I have my book but the book is usually vague and the pictures usually suck.

My radiator is leaking from the passenger side, down low... i cant quite figure out where from. And, it's only when the truck is running. Not sure if that tells anything about it. What would be nice is if i could find the leak and plug it up.. or if it turns out to be some hose or something. But i'm not sure.. i have to do some better investigative work... If i can avoid replacing the radiator I'd like to

I think i'm gonna grab some stop leak from napa, put it in and then drive to my parents house which is about 45 mins away and see if it's still leaking... maybe i'll get lucky and that will subside the leak for a while.. so i can at least get through thanksgiving without having to do this job.

I have replaced several radiators and it only takes about 30 minutes now, but the first time may take longer. I also recommend an all metal radiator as they hold up alot better than the ones with the plastic tanks. While you are in there, you might as well replace both upper and lower hoses along with a new thermostat and water pump. An all metal radiator should be about $175, the hoses should be about $20 each, a thermostat and gasket should be around $10, and a water pump should be around $30.
So, for around $250 and a few hours of work you will have an almost new cooling system.

Reconnect your auto tranny lines before you tighten the rad down, try not to cross thread them.

Back