• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep doesnt start, its cold. need to get to class

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so, its freezing out. and the jeep cranks endlessly but never starts. Ive never had it happen before and its been just as cold or colder. I have a red top. dunno what else to say, why would this be happening? Is it just too cold for the jeep to start up? i cant think of any reason why it just would endlessly crank now and not catch

Your gas line could be frozen, water build up in the gas. Hope for warmer weather or pull your Jeep into a warm garage for a few hours.

Missouri

Can you hear your fuel pump pressurize the system? I got some bad gas one time that must have had a bunch of water in it because my fuel pump wouldn't even pump.

I just had the same problem with my 89. First I checked to see if fuel was getting to the rail and it was not. I could hear the fuel pump, so I knew it was working. Next, I replaced the fuel filter and then had a good spray from the rail after cranking, but it would still not start. I replaced the coil with a spare I had, and still no start. Then I unplugged the cps and checked the connection and ensured it was clean and had no frayed wires and made sure the wires had not been burnt by the exhaust manifold. After plugging the cps back in, it started. I now have a rough idle and believe the cps is going bad, but it now runs.
Good Luck!

It does not take much moisture to freeze and block your fuel line. Somebody won't like it, but dump in a bottle of STP gas treatment or Dry-Gas. Warming the beast up would be a good thing. I don't know about using starting fluid (ether) in one of these high tech engines..

Anyone? Anyone?

Remember to keep your tank topped off so you don't get condensation and don't leave a discharged battery out in this cold.
An engine block heater is really nice if you can find one and have a place to plug-in.

There should be a "Tips for cold weather" sticky.

Last edited:
Just had this happen to me today, too. Almost same exact circumstances, as well--Red Top with no previous problems. Mine wouldn't crank too well, and I tried charging it a bit. That helped but didn't solve it. I took my wife's car to an interview, then jump started mine with hers. It would start a bit slowly, but the really puzzling thing is it wouldn't stay running. The RPMs just bottomed out. After I started it again, and had my wife take the jumper cables off both (what a good wife to do that in 3* weather), I had to keep my foot on the gas for over a full minute before it would keep running on its own. I let it warm up then drove it to a battery shop where they said it had less than 40% charge and less than 300A output. When I asked him to check the starter, he couldn't because the battery was too low to even try it. Now I have a new non-Optima battery that will probably last longer (bitter sarcasm), though I'd really like to know why mine crapped out on me. I'm going to check tonight after work for any oddball drains on the battery system as well as check the alternator.

yeah im haveing the same problem and i have the same battery, its possible its the battery my buddy matt's is new and the cold just killed it. but every 4.0 ive ever had its never liked the cold.

Hella-XJ said:
yeah im haveing the same problem and i have the same battery, its possible its the battery my buddy matt's is new and the cold just killed it. but every 4.0 ive ever had its never liked the cold.

Funny, I hear alot about how the 4.0 starts up no problems in some of the coldest weather in this country (places where it hits negatives alot).

The 4.0 is noticeably slower starting in cold weather vs. other engines, but I know mine's cranked in single digits on a couple of times since i've had it. And that was with the OEM battery pushing 6 years, and no engine block heater. Other than slow cranking, no issues.

I'd be looking at a new battery. Been reading a lot lately about optima's giving trouble.

HeavyMetal said:
Ok so, its freezing out. and the jeep cranks endlessly but never starts. Ive never had it happen before and its been just as cold or colder. I have a red top. dunno what else to say, why would this be happening? Is it just too cold for the jeep to start up? i cant think of any reason why it just would endlessly crank now and not catch

If you are still having a crank and no start situation, try unplugging the CPS then crank over once, then plug CPS back in and try again. If it starts buy a new CPS very soon, this trick doesn't work very many times.

Bones :skull1:

I just went out to the manhole and checked the key-off amp. draw. 13.1 mV--that's it. I just can't see how my Red Top went poof so suddenly. What also sucked today was that I couldn't find my receipt for the Optima, so I can't even get any pro-rated amount for it or even towards a new one. I have receipts for spark plugs from three years ago but not for a $130 battery? Poop.

Coinsidentally, I also have a optima in the Jeep that was giving me starting problems this week, however it would crank fine-just wouldn't start. It was only in the 20's here though.

Back