• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

solenoid replacement

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
how do i take the starter out so i can put in a new solenoid i have? i know i have to take off the battery points but how do i take out the starter or can i just take out the solenoid and replace it?

there 2 bolts that hold it to the bellhousing remove those and the wires and you will have a starter in your hand

It seems you have a 91'. Well how are you so sure the solenoid is bad? IIRC the solenoid is held onto the starter by 2 screws, which don't usually come out. I would say replace the whole starter, unless you wana try to do the solenoid first?

well ok i went ahead and tryed to see if i can figure it out i took all the wires off the solenoid and i think im just going to take the solenoid out instead of the whole starter ill go try and see if that works. BTW its a bitch to getting to all the nuts and stuff. i can only get like 1/16th of a rachet every time haha o well. thanks

Don't forget to disconnect the battery too!

yeah i didnt forget but when i put the solenoid back in i forgot to put in the little cylinder thing in and so i had to unscrew those bolts again and i stripped one of them so i had to hammer a flatheadscrewdriver into the bolt and sheer it... so my solenoid only has on screww but its tight enough it doesnt move around at all. its in there pretty solid. i havent tried to start it yet so... the moment of truth awaits us all. we will see if there is a God. if not ill just keep hotwiring it or get a new starter. thanks for all your help though.

So how can you get it started? If you are bypassing the lock cylinder or the ignition switch and it starts- I wouldn't be looking at the starter as the problem.

Back