• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Choice of Adj arms with drop brackets

CarbonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Fam :woohoo:

I'm reevaluating my front suspension, as in correcting sagging springs, adjustable arms and adding drop brackets. Not interested in long arms for my needs, thanks though.

Originally I installed Rusty's 3" coils and a RE 3/4" spacer, which netted me exactly 4" on the front with stock arms. That was almost 3 years ago, and now, even with the RE spacer, I've dropped to 3" in the front. The 150lb rate is a soft ride, but did not bear the burden. Also IRO double shear track bar, Bilstein 5100s, SYE and shaft, and rear is OME leafs and Rusty's 3/4" shackles, still at a hair over 4" strong.

Plan is to install my PAC 4" coils, add RC drop brackets, get my pinion correct with a set of adjustable arms, and then have my Cs rotated for correct caster. Local shop owes me, so the Cs rotation is free! :cool:
I'm between IRO and Core4x4 for arms. If you have/had a set of these, what was your experience? What do you recommend, one over the other, or a different brand?

I had Rocky road Outfiters drop brackets on mine with Synergy fixed length lower arms a supreme suspension adjustable upper arms. The rocky road drop brackets allowed me the adjust my caster with the use of factory shims. I never touch the adjustment setting on my uppers at all.
As a side note I did switch to a long arm system made by core 4x4 and there arms are awsome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would run RK arms. I have RK adj. uppers on my MJ. Good quality good price.
I will probaby run their lowers at some point, but my current lowers were had, used, at a very good price.

I would go with a different drop bracket brand. I have the Rough Country. They fit fine, work fine. Not happy with the gusset/support bracket that bolts to the lower mount and frame rail. It mounts to the frame rail with (2) 5/16 self tappers. They pull right out. There are a couple manufacturers of the drop brackets that bolt under the transmission cross member. One day I'll get off my ass and build a similar gusset for mine.

Just installed a rocky road drop kit on mine. I like it better than the RC kits. Less peaces, bigger brace and no modification required. The brace extends all the way back to and picks up on the tranny xmember. Come powder coated black. Iro arms are beafy and say they fit 0-6 . Just installed on mine, no drive test yet, still have no exhaust.

I would go with a different drop bracket brand. I have the Rough Country. They fit fine, work fine. Not happy with the gusset/support bracket that bolts to the lower mount and frame rail. It mounts to the frame rail with (2) 5/16 self tappers. They pull right out. There are a couple manufacturers of the drop brackets that bolt under the transmission cross member. One day I'll get off my ass and build a similar gusset for mine.

I see, that is no beuno. The Rocky Road braces are nice, very similar to the rubicon express set up. I have not touched the factory bolts/studs for the transmission crossmember, so that would be fun to remove! I got my Kroil and a torch though.

Dragon reply back when you get a drive under it. I like the IRO set, but the Core4x4 has better pricing and would be all I'd need for this build. But I like beef ha

I had originally planned on drop brackets with Rubicon Express fixed lowers, as I like they are straight tube with an offset axle end. It would help keep the lower arm level, since I am at the lower end for drop brackets. The bend in other arms might be too low with the brackets, if that makes sense. But cost wise I can get a full adjustable set for not much more from other brands.

You can pick up the RE brackets on amazon for about 180$.

Or you could be a smart shopper AND support a NAXJA Sponsor.
Just sayin'.....

Sold! :laugh:

I'm still torn on the arms to install. The Core4x4 are my top choice really. I don't even know if I really need the lowers to be adjustable since I'm at the lower end of the required lift. Upper would adjust pinion and then I would just rotate Cs.

Would a set of WJ lowers fit into the Rubicon Express brackets? I know the axle end bushing needs a trim, and on stock body brackets the body end needs a BIG trim. Perhaps the drop brackets have enough space?

I have RC drop brackets and WJ lower CAs on 2001 XJ and RE brackets and arms on 1996 XJ. Both bushings on WJ arms needed trimming. Both RC and RE drop brackets have pretty much the same space for lower CAs like factory bracket because they use factory U-shaped bracket w.2 bolts and shims and adjust caster. You might consider lower adjustable arms if you are running bigger tires and want to push them forward away from the fender. I have 31" tires and RC brackets on 2001 and no problem with fender/wheel well clearance at full lock on flat ground. Never checked clearance at full suspension compression. I'll put 33's on it soon then I'll know if I need adj. LCAs for clearance.

That really helps me out Moo.
I currently run just over 30s, which on stock rims rub the drivers lower arm pretty hard. I'd like to move up to 31s (narrow 32s MAX) so WJ arm clearance would help, even though I'm going shorter backspacing on new wheels.

I like the RE brackets, so those are in now. WJ arms are cheap enough that I may try them out with just adjustable uppers to start with.

I used wj arms for the top & bottom on mine, works great with the RC drop brackets. I did have to clearance the upper on the driver side.....XJ uppers would probably be a better choice.

I've not had any issue with the brace coming loose, but I am going to modify them to my own liking once my frame stiffeners are on.

No adjustable arms at all, and my alignment came out fine.

Google for the optimum length of the arms with the drop brackets installed and then look at arms in that length. I believe there are some numbers for the RE DBs

I say this because my JKS arms were too long (fully compressed) for the RE DBs. Ended up taking a bath when I resold the DBs locally

32ff874da547d191fcb1842ed8b26783.jpg

Hopefully that's not too big of a picture

Back