• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my 96 2 door build thread

Got the steering done today. Honestly it was the easiest part of the whole build so far. Only took about 20-30 minutes to get cut and mocked up. This is the OTK Ruffstuff kit.

Got the rear shocks mocked up, just gotta weld it together now. I'm hoping the rear plates I bolted to the wheel wells hold up, I don't see a problem since it won't actually be holding up the weight of Jeep. We will see I guess.

This thing is getting so close! Next things to tackle are making rear brake lines, and getting the front DL shortened a few inches. Then I should be able to test it out.

Oh and I forgot, I got some other things done too. Got a JCR CB antenna mount put on and routed the cable to the console.

Got a dirtbound optima battery tray in. Don't mind the rust, I'm going to POR-15 it here soon.

Got my hand throttle installed. Can't wait to try this out, I feel it will help out greatly since this is a 5spd.

With the gears and tires you have I doubt you will need the hand throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the holes for the skid plate drilled and tapped. What a PITA, went through 3 taps to do 10 holes. Don't buy Irwin taps they are junk. Anyway...got it bolted up and it looks good.

Got the rear shocks mounted up, think I'm going to re-drill the hole down about 2 inches or so. I don't think I can utilize 7 inches of up travel. I can't figure out why the driver side shock body is up almost an inch higher than the passenger side. I measured the height of the bottom mount and they are exactly the same.

Finally this thing made it out of the shop after being in there for almost 2+ years. Still need the front drive shaft. And I found out the AX15 I bought a few years ago is junk, won't stay in first gear. Now I need to find another or possibly have this one rebuilt. Bummer. But here's a good poser shot. Drives really nice down the road, doesn't dog-track or anything. Definitely needs a sway bar, kinda scary taking turns.

Got the front end put together (lights etc) bought a new headlight bezel since I couldn't find one at the local jy, painted the other one black to match since it was chrome. Installed the old ugly winch. I pulled the tranny the other day and sent it in for a rebuild, hopefully it doesn't cost a fortune since I'm going to have to dig into the money I was going to use for an Anti rock, I guess that might have to wait lol.

Well they wanted $800 to rebuild my tranny. F-that! I bought a whole other Cherokee with a AX15 for 400 and I've already got offers to buy the whole thing minus the tranny for 400. So I got it for free basically.

Back