• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Altimeter on dash?

Heres mine, IIRC it cost me about $25. I'll see if i can find where i got it.

14guards005.jpg

Heres mine, IIRC it cost me about $25. I'll see if i can find where i got it.

14guards005.jpg

That looks the same as mine, but I have it on the other side of the instrument panel. I thought I got it from Camping World, but a search there and on Amazon didn't show it. Amazon did have a couple others, though.

Mine goes up to 16,000 feet, that's a little more than I've needed so far...

Ive got one of my dads old Skydiving Alt.'s and it does fine, Might have a few extra laying around from his old student program

That looks the same as mine, but I have it on the other side of the instrument panel. I thought I got it from Camping World, but a search there and on Amazon didn't show it. Amazon did have a couple others, though.

John, i put an interior winch controller on the other side where you installed yours. This was the next best place i could come up with.

The nice thing about GPS is not having to adjust it all the time.

Since the basic altimeter is a barometer, if you don't reset it at a known elevation on your way to the mountain pass, it can be rather inaccurate.

We already have a cheap GPS that does (just about) everything we need (not into geocaching or anything at this point), so I don't want to spend more than I need to for more than I want
shrug.gif

Billy

My GPS has a built in alt. but I don't use it. Since they turned off selective availability the elevation calculated by your GPS is as good or better than an Alt. Mainly because pressure changes do not affect them. Even your cheap GPS unit should do this. I have never seen one that didn't.

The nice thing about GPS is not having to adjust it all the time.

Since the basic altimeter is a barometer, if you don't reset it at a known elevation on your way to the mountain pass, it can be rather inaccurate.

So is the altimeter on your GPS.

So is the altimeter on your GPS.

Depends on the GPS. For instance. With a Garmin 60CSX it has a barometer style Alt but you can turn it off and use triangulation from satellites for elevation. I do this on mine as it seems to be more accurate. I believe even the cheepo units will do this.

I'm often curious about the elevation of passes and summits on road trips and I was thinking it would be nice to have an altimeter on my dash. I know the better GPS units have this information, but I really don't have the need (read:cash) for one of those. Has anybody ever seen an altimeter that may work in the dash of a Jeep?
Thanks,
Billy

An altimeter only reads air pressure, so how do you adjust your altimeter each day? Just adjust it to read the proper height from a known position?

Back in my flying days, this was information that you had to get from the field that you were leaving, flying over, or flying to.

Of course the GPS takes care of that by measuring the actual distance.

Back