• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stretched Chain in NP231?

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a lot of play in my front driveshaft even when in 4 wheel drive, it seems it has a lot of backlash. It's been like this for a while. The front gears, bearings, axle shafts, etc. were all just redone by a shop and they're tight. When I put my SYE on last year the chain wasn't super tight between the two cogs, does anybody have pictures of what a new chain in there looks like and/or an example of an old chain? I'm just wondering if mine is stretched or not. And if it is if I can upgrade it while I'm in there or just stick with what I have. TIA.

A good clue that the chain is going is it will jump in low but not hi range. Does your do this? There is a HD chain kit out there but memory fails me on who makes it.

Last edited:
The heavy duty kit can be had at JB conversions.
when you do your SYE, yes it will aprear that the chain is loose, but that is because you have the back case half off which sets the tension. since the output shaft is not supported it seams looose. I just did one last night. don't worry about it till is starts to jump...

Jb conversions makes the wide chain kit for 225 which is not bad when a new chain costs 110 bucks from the local dist. I would think it would be about time to change the chain out in yours. I already had to in my 92 and I also replaced all the bearings and seals while I was at it.

I'll check out the difference in 4H and 4L. I'm not sure what you mean by jump. I'm in 4L in the boulders and such, and when my tires come up against a boulder I can hear a clunk. I think it's because the tires stop but the driveshaft spins around a tiny bit if I'm not on the gas, kind of a clunky looseness. I haven't noticed it in 4H but I don't run as hard of stuff in 4H either. Thanks for the info and keep it coming. If somebody's got pictures that will be helpful too. This case has 103K on it, so miles aren't that high. Thanks Beezil, I'll keep that in mind when I have the money to buy.

I have a 231 with the teralo 4:1 & the chain is going too, does it take the stock chain or do i need to order a special one from tera?

xj92 said:
I'll check out the difference in 4H and 4L. I'm not sure what you mean by jump. I'm in 4L in the boulders and such, and when my tires come up against a boulder I can hear a clunk. I think it's because the tires stop but the driveshaft spins around a tiny bit if I'm not on the gas, kind of a clunky looseness. I haven't noticed it in 4H but I don't run as hard of stuff in 4H either. Thanks for the info and keep it coming. If somebody's got pictures that will be helpful too. This case has 103K on it, so miles aren't that high. Thanks Beezil, I'll keep that in mind when I have the money to buy.

xj92 said:

"Jumping" is when the chain is so lose it slips over the drive gear. If it does it you will know what it is, it is a very easily idenfiable sound. I really wouldnt worry about it until it starts making griding sounds.

If this is a 5 speed it WILL do what you are saying. Sloppy feel. When you get low gears in the tcase it get less. A nv4500 and low gears in tcase it goes away.

If this is an auto it keeps the slop all wound up. Won't have that feel unless something is really loose.

Most tcase chains that are stretched can't be diagnosed until it starts to jump like axboy said. It will happen in L and even be more evident while turning or climbing up with the front end.

BTW all HD (wide) chain kits (parts) are just parts put together from the 231HD tcase.

mark

azxjman - The chain isn't jumping a tooth, so if it's stretched, it's not that bad.

Mark - You descibed exactly what I have, and I do have the 5-speed, so I'll just live with it until I get the Tera 4:1 stuff and the HD chain sometime in the distant future. Is the NV4500 stronger than the AX-15 and does it bolt right up? A swap isn't in my near future, but if the transmission ever goes, that's when I'll look into upgrades. Thanks.

NV4500 is from a one ton truck!

It is close to a bolt up but things do need to be manipulated a little, cutting and customizing needed! :D

mark

awr94903 said:
does anyone know if the 4:1 still uses the same chain?

Yes, it uses the same chain. Only the planetary assembly changes with the 4 to 1, everything else stays the same.

Buy the JB Conversions 231HD for about $1000. I did and it was the best thing ever. It has every aftermarket upgrade (6 pinion planetary, wider chain, SYE) and I don't think I will ever break it!!!! The only upgrade it doesn't have is the Teralow 4:1. JB Conversions said they have had some horror stories with that "upgrade", and you can't expect them to warranty it if they wouldn't use it themselves.

Back