• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

vacuum ball

Comanche

NAXJA Forum User
What do you do with the ball in the bumper when you install a aftermarket bumper? Is this thing necessary? I know this sounds like a strange question but I just removed my bumper and fender flares for the first time. Going with cut-outs and a custome winch bumper.
Thanks
Ron

You do need it if you run cruse control, front vac disco axle, and other vacuum controled items (ac venting).
Just find a place under the hood to relocated it.

Yea - the factory lines are quite long and can be re-routed - in an MJ you should be able to mount the ball beneathe the coolant bottle without much hassle (and you could even shorten-up a few lines in the process)...

I’ve seen people put them just below the harmonic balancer on the back of the frame cross member. This would likely require line extensions.

Placed mine just above the ignition on the passenger side. Take it, attach the lines to it and just place it in somewhere. It will fit a lot of places. :D

Second what Joachim did, I attached mine to an AC hose right above the oil filter, behind the battery. It's a good time to replace those plastic lines (I found that 'icemaker' hose from the hardware is a pretty durable replacement.)

Late 70's early 80's Volkswagen Jetta, Scirocco, and Fox have a vaccume reservoir that mounts to the underside of the hood. It looks like a bunch of black tennis balls glued together. They hold a good ammount of vaccume and stay well out of the way. I'm going to get one my self.

Back