• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start, no cranks - 96 XJ

todddos

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help me here, because I'm stumped. I have a 96 cherokee, 4 cyl, 5 spd manual AX15 transmission. I shut the jeep down for 5 minutes the other night, and when I went to go start her up again.....nothing. I have power, battery is fine, and starter looks good. But it won't even crank.

I replaced the ignition switch hoping for a quick and easy fix, but no luck. Still the same problem. Then I read about the NSS possibility, but because I have a manual Jeep, I don't have one. Then I heard the manual equivalent is the clutch interlock switch. But, I remember my Jeep being able to start without the clutch being depressed, either in neutral or 1st. I accidentaly started it in 1st a coule times recently without the clutch depressed and of course lurched to a stall. Could this have caused my problem??

I'm lost and this is starting to sound like an electrical nightmare (not my specialty to say the least). Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Back