• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adjustable Shocks or Bilstein 7100's

FJH97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Need input on either Rusty's 9 Way Shocks or longer Bilstein 5100's (which im running now) or 7100's? I like the 5100's but I need longer shocks. Please give input on this. Fred

I can't imagine the Rusty's shocks being as nice as the Bilstiens. I have the 5100s now, and I don't think I'd change for anything. I'm sure they make longer shocks. My buddy just put some on his lifted Land Cruiser and the thing rides like a new truck. Don't know about the 7100s but I can't imagine them being bad in any way.

I would like to hear more about the 5100's. I used to have Rancho 9012's and they were nice, but I don't have them anymore. I was thinking about the 5100's because I can get them for $50.00 each. Are they a soft valved shock or are they firm.

Thanks

I will never buy anything but the ranchos i have the 5 ways and so far they are the best shock ive owned....

I wish I had the loot for some 7100s; I've not heard one bad thing about these shocks and I'd be highly surprised if you did. Also check out the Doetsch Tech HV1s and their Series II shocks. Both look like very nice alternatives to the super expensive Bilsteins.

Ive got a set of 7100's on another projcet of mine,All I can say is to pick your valving carefully,their recomended valve settings are geared for "Off Road RACING",very firm.

I love my 5100s. They really smooth out the roads that used to shake my fillings out with my old Ranchos. Mine were slightly used when I got them, but they still kicked @$$. They have good control on the street, and very little dive when turning or braking. The self valving aspect is what I really appreciate. For my daily driver, I really wouldn't want to be fiddling with the valving all the time, but then again, I guess you would only be adjusting them for the weekend trail runs, so I guess it wouldn't bee too bad. Anyway, the 5100s seem to self adjust very well to varying road conditions. Let me know i f you have any more questions.

Bilstein makes the 5100's up to 14" travel

Just installed 7100's 14" travel (no where near long enough) but by far the best shock I've owned I recomend to all my customers.The ride is incredible ,I had them valved to the weight of my xj took about 3weeks to get but worth it .Go for it fred.

Marc S.

I havn't confirmed this but I'd be willing to bet that Rusty's adjustables are Rancho's 9000s. I have no idea what Rusty is charging for them but I'd buy them if they where cheaper than the 9000s

5150....not Van Halen

Throwing this one back on the fire.........

What valving is recommended, and will the 5150's still ride nice enough for a daily driver? I like the road feel of my Skyjacker Hydros and don't want to go to a harsh shock just so I can baja it occasionally in Moab.

BTW, 6" lift XD RE lift and 32's, 4 door, full armor.

TIA Bilstein Valving Specs

I have the 5150s now for about 6 weeks and i have to say that i'm impressed. Great on and off road and really the best shock i've ever used. :cool: :cool:

Back