• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Prothane bumpstop question

time2getdirty

my cats breath smells
NAXJA Member
I did a moajor front end overhall for my front suspension. Previous setup was 18" control arms using factory mounts, custom trackbar, re 3.5 coils, ACOS and 5 hockeypucks up front and alcan springs with jks shackles in the back netting me somewhere in between 4.5-5" of lift and I have 5100s all the way around (10s front and 10s back). I am also running 37s for size reffrence.

I made my own 4 link using ballistic mounts and heims. I then made new shock mounts so I could throw some 12" 5150s up front then I bought the 8" prothane inserts made a capture plate for them and through them in the coil. They are 1/16th away from the acos at ride height.

Problem is, it is rough as heck! Every bump hurts (probably heims?) and it is now super stiff/rough over big bumps/jumps. At a local jump I used to hit every day (used to be really smooth) I swear the front end now bounces and feels very harsh in the jeep.
My question is should I trim the bumpstop to get it away from the ACOS so it has a bit more travle before its working? And with that I dont want to stuff my 37s into the front bumper so how do I make sure I have enough bumpstop?

First, I'd say ditch the ACOS so you can run longer springs. The short springs are binding way earlier than longer ones would. With 4.5-5" of lift, you can find a set of decently stiff springs that will not compress so easily. I found the RE springs were pretty soft, so I got BDS. I guess Deaver are the best for jumping, whoops, etc.

Sounds like stiffer shocks would help as well to go along with the springs. Then probably cut the bumpstops a bit maybe depending on your shock travel. Give them enough room to compress and slow down the axle from bottoming out, the stiffer shocks and springs will help this the most though.

Everything I read on the prothanes said they should be a couple inches away from the bumpstops (1.5"-2" +/-). Sounds like yours are too close to the Acos which is significantly increasing your spring rate, giving you the rough ride.

X2. The prothanes need about a 2" gap. I have about that and love it. Works like a dream when the front leaves the ground.

I am running into the problem of i only have about 4" of uptravel with my low lift and big tires so i want them to dampen but also stop

Back