• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump problem

hdis2002

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the tear down process of my recently acquired XJ. 1995 Country. I pulled the gas tank and removed the fuel pump. Gas tank was rusted and pump was gummed up so I ditched it and ordered a new tank and pump. Tank is fine, however, fuel pump was wrong. This model uses the side mount pump. Sent it back and ordered from another supplier. This one was side mount but only had one outlet. No return pipe. It seems this pump is nearly impossible to find. Several suppliers say they have it, but it's the same type, no return connection. Any ideas, suggestions on where to find one? I've probably looked at 15+ parts sites with no luck.

Well, that's a good question. The one that most sites say is compatible with 94 and 95, manufactured by US Motor Works, looks right, but doesn't have the return connection(this is the one I bought) and the plug is wrong. I did find one for 94 made by GMB that looks right in the pic, but they want $250 for it. I'm new to the jeep thing. Is that a normal price?

Well, that's a good question. The one that most sites say is compatible with 94 and 95, manufactured by US Motor Works, looks right, but doesn't have the return connection(this is the one I bought) and the plug is wrong. I did find one for 94 made by GMB that looks right in the pic, but they want $250 for it. I'm new to the jeep thing. Is that a normal price?

Does it have a pressure regulator on the fuel rail front? Does the fuel rail have one or two fuel lines going to it? Some time in the early/mid 90s they deleted the fuel regulator on the fuel rail and the return line then moved the regulator into the tank with the pump. Are you sure you have a return line?

What connector does yours have on it? I believe that would be the only difference between a 91-94 version and one for a 95. You can find a 91-94 model for a lot less than $250; whether it's worth swapping the connector to save money is entirely up to you... (assuming there is even a difference)

It sounds like you received one for a '96.

'96 is the only year of steel tanks with a side mounted pump and no return line. All other years with steel tanks have a return line.

Thanks for all the feedback. Yes, it has a regulator on the fuel rail and yes it has a return line. I just purchased a '93 pump. I'll let you know if it works when it comes in.

Well Im a little late to the fun here at naxja, but we're driving on the same trail it seems.

my 94 "xJ" ( I'm learning fast ), we call it a Cherokee here in new mexico

has the same rusted out tank and the same fuel pump issue as you. Ugh, i'm just getting ready to retire and I have to deal with a crap job like this because I'd take a real ass beating if I tried to sell the xj needing this work

i decided to pull the tank after I found it nearly impossible to get the pump and gasket in place and get the lock ring started without the car on a lift, and even then it was a reach. and the tank was pretty scummy too.

Turn out the tank was also rusted, after all it is really old, and mine has been sitting for several years with a nearly empty tank.

so why unobtainum?..several reasons but for us its two things as you've noted

1-our regulator is on the fuel rail, we have a return hose. looks like as stated previous that stopped in 96, the aftermarket seems confused about this particular point

2-the fuel gauge may not read correctly if you use a pump hanger from a 93 or early, however, I suspect they fit into the tank just fine. The ohm-age of the 94 might be significantly different. I'm sure you've seen the listing that indicates this spec for the 91-93 side mount pump fuel senders

Ohm range: Full 100-115, Empty 0-5.

and to think I hated top of the tank mounted pumps...I cut a hole in the floorboards to access one if I could just order up the right stuff. at least the tanks are not wallet busters. I'm going to pay a little extra (+$40) and pick up one in town, I can't deal with returning any more stuff this month, its tiring

any thoughts on going with an external pump?

I'd be so bold as to ask you to check the fuel sender operation before you actually stick that pump in the tank

I'm pretty confident I can get around the ohm range issue...maybe

looking forward to hearing about your new pump.

We refer to them as xjs because it's shorter and you eliminate confusion with the grand series. I've never heard of someone running an external pump on a stock set up, they are generally pretty pricey; but it been a long time since I bought one.

Back