• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power window works from driver side, not passenger

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
The passenger side power window does not go down from the passenger side switch, only from the driver side master switch. From the couple articles/threads I found on the subject, it says it could be a wire that got exposed in the door panel by the rubber boot.

What else might it be due to the symptoms? Only working from one side...

This is a very very common issue on many 97+ XJs and it is caused by the window lock switch on the driver door shorting out. There is a wiring modification to bypass the switch but you will no longer be able to lock the windows. Or you can replace the entire assembly in the driver door to return to full functionality which is what I opted for. Pricey yes but atleast it all works as it is supposed to. The cut wire as far as I have seen usually only happens with the speaker wire but reports have come in that other wires have been cut too in that area so pull back the boot, peel back the wire cover, and see if you can find a cut wire. If there isn't any then its the switch. I am willing to bet money that it is the shorted out switch because mine was the switch as well as my 3 cousins' XJs.

Got a write up on the bypass mod? I don't care to lock the windows...gonna be a few years before my baby girl can even get close to attempting to roll the windows down =)

umm search maybe ? (i saw you said you did)
now you know about the mod now search for that mod it's on here ..

I did that mod its easy and takes a few mins. Really what's the lock for?

it's most likely the switch (ive fixed like three on diff rigs) there is also a thread on disassembling the switch cleaning contacts and reassembling to fix it..

do I have the link? Nope but if I needed it to fix my car I'd find it.. It's all on this site (i usually search from google)

and if anybody can't keep their kids from jumping out the windows I don't know how their kid will survive the rest of life!

ok so my bad I couldn't find (quickly anyway) the 2 threads (a bypass and a full repair) that I found on naxja before..

I did find a bypass one on j.f. But it went through the door panel. Which while easy is not as easy as jumping the wires in the kick panel like tim posted. So I won't post that one.

heres a link to a switch rebuild though http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/power-window-switch-repair-writeup-444977/

Thanks Tim =)

Outkast...I asked for the write-up as I figured Ben had done the same thing and figured that he had the link handy.

The first thing that I would do is get a test light and see if you have power to the other side of the window switch when it is pressed. If it doesn't and it has power to it,then the switch is bad.

If there's power to and from the switch check the wire harness between the door and body of the Jeep, to see if there's a broken or frayed wire in there.

If that checks out, test the wires on the other door to see if there's power to anything while pressing the switch on the drivers side.

I've seen this on all three XJs at my house. The kid bypassed the first two XJs with the bypass mod. I simply whack the switch area once to restore window operation. Works every time. I'm cheap that way.

I had the same simalar problem and replaced drivers door switch with another used switch and it still didn't work. I pulled apart the wire harness from the switch to the door and noticed the big yellow wire from the switch and also the main ground wire both had age cracks in them. So I replaced both wires and hooked it all up. BUT I had the same problem... no power to the other windows or door locks.

So after about an hour of carefully prying the switch covers off It ended up being a cracked solder joint INSIDE the switch. I re-soldered all of the points and low and behold all my windows and door locks work just like they did off the factory line.

My 99 does this as well. The first thing I'd check is whether this problem affects only one window or all the other windows. In my case it's all of them, and what I usually do is cycle the lockout button a half dozen times or so, and it starts working again. For some reason yet unexplained, it will then keep working until I shut down and restart, when it will often recur.

I'll have to try whacking the panel next time and see if I get the same effect. I've been too busy (that is spelled ell ay zee wye) to fix it properly.

I'm guessing I'm going to have to get a multimeter and check the voltages to each switch. I already replaced the drivers switches. And now im getting a new problem, where, if I try to lock the door from the passenger door, my lights blink and it kills my interior fuse.

Matthew, mine is acting similar...

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If the window doesn't work, I just tell my wife to wait a few minutes and try again.

...... new problem, where, if I try to lock the door from the passenger door, my lights blink and it kills my interior fuse.

This indicates a short circuit. Inspect the drivers door wire harness for failed wire splices, failed wires, and chafed or damaged insulation.

I Just had the same issue with my 99 Xj Sport.
The driver could control all the windows but the window lock was stuck on or something. I tried the wire splicing thing but no luck. I watched a YouTube video and ended up taking off the driver window control module and after opening it up I re soldered the back of the window lock circuit board and it worked. The whole thing literally took 20 minutes, the hardest part was snapping off the switch caps and now everything works. I'm literally retarded and fixed it in 20 minutes so I was pretty happy to save 30 bucks on not buying a new module.

replaced the main control switch on driver side. gave me driver control of pass window, but not passenger. I don't care if passengers can control their window so I stopped there

Back