• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 renix 2.5 - high fuel pressure, is that bad?

oldskoolsleeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody, about a month ago I replaced my fuel pump and the jeep didn't run right. I went through everything and even adjusted the fuel presure regulator up as much as possible and still only had 8 lbs.

Took it to a shop and of course the hose wasn't tight enough on the fuel pump so that was fixed and it read 18 lbs.

The factory setting is 14.5 lbs. Am I running rich or am I worried for no reason?

I'd adjust it back down to 14-15 if you can, else, wouldn't worry about it. Might just be me though.

Theoretically it doesn't since the engine computer watches the O2 sensor to figure out if it needs more or less fuel, but the faster the injector flows fuel, the less granularity the engine computer has to control how much is used (since it pretty much just says how long the injector should be open for, and can only adjust the open period by certain "ticks", not sure how long each "tick" is though.)

Believe it will decrease fuel economy during warm-up (i.e. until the engine goes into closed loop mode when the temp gets to 170-180 or so) but I'm not sure, 4 cylinder TBI RENIX rigs are pretty foreign to me. And in a well maintained engine it will only take a few minutes for coolant temps to reach that range anyways.

Back