• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake pedal feel after D44 rear swap?

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody had issues with the rear drum brakes after swapping in an XJ 44? I kept the drum brakes but it feels like my front brakes are working and the rears aren't. I've made sure they're all bled properly. Does it have a bigger brake cylinder on each wheel since the drums are larger and thus the master isn't pushing enough fluid or something? TIA.

I previously had an 8.25 in there and my Jeep is a '93.

:D Yeah, the symptoms you are describing I've experienced and heard before.

You need to reset your brake proportioning valve and power bleed you lines. That valve doesn't like it when you do the pump and bleed method.

How do you reset a proportioning valve? Or are you talking about removing the o-ring inside? I vacuum bled them and also did pump and hold. No visible air at all at this point in the fluid.

You've got to remove the sensor first. Then remove the retaining screw/cap at the front. Then gigger the slide valve until you move it all the way forward. Finally, reassemble and bleed.

SBrad001 said:
You've got to remove the sensor first. Then remove the retaining screw/cap at the front. Then gigger the slide valve until you move it all the way forward. Finally, reassemble and bleed.
Where is this said stuff? Im having the same problems.

I took the drums back off and adjusted the shoes to where the drum would barely fit back on and everything works great now. The problem was not adjusting them out enough, then adjusting the parking brake too soon and too tight. Can anybody explain how the self adjustors work for my future reference? What motion will make them move one "click"? Thanks.

xj92 said:
I took the drums back off and adjusted the shoes to where the drum would barely fit back on and everything works great now. The problem was not adjusting them out enough, then adjusting the parking brake too soon and too tight. Can anybody explain how the self adjustors work for my future reference? What motion will make them move one "click"? Thanks.
By design, when you back up and apply the brakes sharpley, they are supposed to adjust. I suppose they do to some extent but I've always found that you have to manually adjust them from time to time. And you should adjust the brakes from the back side of the back plate. There is an elongated hole that lines up with the start adjuster. Might have a rubber plug inserted into the hole.

I'm aware of the rubber plug and access hole, it was just easier to zap off the tires with the air gun and do it that way. That's what I thought about the backward motion, but I guess I was so far off to begin with I would have had to drive and stop a hundred times to adjust them.

Back