• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque Converter Problem?

jibirish11321

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 94 xj with the 4.0 and aw4 trans. The other week something blew in the front. im leaning towards the front seal of the trans but the day it went i noticed i was running about 700 rpm more than usual. but for about a month if not more there was this wierd grinding sound from the bellhousing/torque converter area and only when taking off. once the trans shifted out of second no more noise. i swapped an aw4 out of a 92 xj and the trans works fine but the wierd grinding noise is back with an odd clucking noise which seems like something bouncing around like possibly my exhaust on the cross member cuz i feel it in the floor board. so basicly me and my friends are stumped on whether it could be the torque converter or maybe something to do with the back of the crank or flex plate. any ideas?

As far as the clunking off the floorboard, check the parking brake cable attachment point at the front where the adjustment bolt is. My cables were shot & slackened, which allowed this block that holds the 2 cables to fall down enough to hit the weights on the driveshaft & fling it into the floorboard every so often. I was haveing problems with the transfer case at the time & thought something was binding in the case.

Back