• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Drain Plug? 2001 XJ

P

Poppinblock

I just spent way too long consulting a haynes and factory manual trying to find out where the damn radiator drain plug is, and to no avail.

I found the little switch behind the parking light of the passenger side, but not the plug.

Where is that little bugger? Where ever it is, I am either really dumb or blind, or it's doing everything it can to hide from me.

Any help?

Should be on the bottom of the passanger side of the radiator. It is actually a little valve with the drain facing towards the engine. I am not sure the best way to get at it . I found mine when I had the bumper, grill and lights out doing some other work.

mines a 97 and it's on the bottom outside pointing towards the right front wheel. The only way to reach it is take the grill off. Then it's a pain getting your fingers in there trying to unloosen it.
HT

Easiest way to drain the radiator is to pull the lower radiator hose from the water pump.

I just pull the corner light out to get at it, but I am with them though. Next time I am just pulling the lower hose.

My too , i'd just pull out the lower hose and shoot some compressed air in another tube on the top to clear the engine also.

I never did find it on my 98 either. The lower hose burst and drained it for me. Speaking of the manuals, I have the Haynes 19??-1998 manual, but very little if anything has been correct for my 1998 Cherokee Classic. Any suggestions for a better book?

groovyone said:
I never did find it on my 98 either. The lower hose burst and drained it for me. Speaking of the manuals, I have the Haynes 19??-1998 manual, but very little if anything has been correct for my 1998 Cherokee Classic. Any suggestions for a better book?
See if your local library has any old Mitchells they're trying to get rid of. The system I work in switched to Mitchell online and we got rid of a ton of manuals for about $1-2 each. They're way better than either Chilton or Haynes. I have yet to find an error or have a patron report one to me; with the other two, I have patrons complain at least once a month about something being wrong or just not quite as it was described.

jxj said:
Easiest way to drain the radiator is to pull the lower radiator hose from the water pump.

Adding insult to injury... I used my then-new shop manual to guide me to the drain plug... took the headlight bucket out, then realized that access would be far better if I removed the entire grille....

And after all that... the draincock is somehow PLUGGED UP. Not so much as a drip came out when I opened it.

I ended up pulling the lower hose as well!

Den

Back