• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Misfires

Hulsey96

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i bought a 96 XJ 4.0 4wd (264k miles) for a thousand bucks, and have since been trying to get it to pass emissions. i thought it would pass at first b/c the check engine light wasnt on. turns out someone broke the bulb behind the dash. so anyways after replacing the bulb the light came on. i had the codes read at auto zone. it said multiple misfires, then listed all cylinders. so i replaced plugs wires distributor cap, and rotor, and reset the computer (disco'd the battery) and the check engine light was off for a day or two, then came back on. back to auto zone now the comp only says cylinders one and 2(misfires). the gaps are correct, the wires are goin to the right plugs... what is wrong? is it timing? i need to pass emissions to get my tag. Any light shed on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Hulsey96 said:
ok so i bought a 96 XJ 4.0 4wd (264k miles) for a thousand bucks, and have since been trying to get it to pass emissions. i thought it would pass at first b/c the check engine light wasnt on. turns out someone broke the bulb behind the dash. so anyways after replacing the bulb the light came on. i had the codes read at auto zone. it said multiple misfires, then listed all cylinders. so i replaced plugs wires distributor cap, and rotor, and reset the computer (disco'd the battery) and the check engine light was off for a day or two, then came back on. back to auto zone now the comp only says cylinders one and 2(misfires). the gaps are correct, the wires are goin to the right plugs... what is wrong? is it timing? i need to pass emissions to get my tag. Any light shed on this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Carefully check the fuel injector connectors. Dunno if the OBD would throw a code if injectors are intermittent but my '89 feels like bad plugs/wires misfire when the connectors lose contact on the injectors.

A compression check might be helpful too.

hey i got the same problem it comes up as cylinder 1 is misfireing i messed with the connection at the fuel injector and the light turned off.. so i bought a new fuel injector for the heck of it but the injectors are the problem

It could still be the injectors. I know the OBDI will throw a code for a misfiring injector, and I'd be surprised if the OBDII doesn't. I've had harness problems on a 93, causing misfiring when it heated up. It did set a code.

Just to confirm what Matthew said; a 96 OBD II will trigger a code for malfunctioning injectors. They are probably sticking closed, or maybe the plug-ins are loose.......

264K is a lot of miles on OEM injectors, if they haven't been replaced.

Back