• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 booster/MC pedal feel

LT1XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I finally got the booster and M/C installed on the 90 XJ. It stops well, but the pedal feels soft. It goes down about half way with no braking and then it kicks in. It stops fine, it is just different. It is not like it is spongy, I bled the lines well. Is this how it feels, or what? It could be that I am used to my crappy brakes and don't know what they are supposed to feel like.
Dustin:confused:

If the rear drums are out of adjustment, you get more pedal travel before they start to grab. Maybe the new m/c-booster assy makes it more noticable. Just a thought.

Did you bleed the master cylinder seperatly? You can end up with air in the system if you only bleed at the four corners. The FSM does a good job covering this proceedure. Good Luck.

Woody

It is a 90 wagoneer that had ABS. front dana 3o rear 35 all stock. Rear brakes were adjusted surprisingly well, probably the first XJ that I have worked on that the self adjusters actually worked. I did bench bleed the master. Once you get to the lower half of the pedal travel they work well, close to locking up the wheels. So it is not that they don't stop, they just feel odd to me.
Dustin

Dustin, something isn't right with your setup.

If you've got all of the system bled properly and adjusted, I'd start looking at the operating rod. Wonder if it's out of adjustment?

ChiXJeff

Yeah, I am at a loss. I ended up getting a new master and a reman booster. Only ones I could find in the bone yards weren't in the greatest shape, but i did nab the spacer and lines. It went together pretty easy, only hangup was getting the brake switch to work I ended up opening up the hole in the rod and grinding the back down so that it was a little flatter for the switch to push on. I am going to be doing the swap on my XJ too, so I will see if it is any different. I have never had much luck adjusting the booster pushrods, it seemed like it was close when I put it all together. SO I guess there is a chance that it might be a little off. In the meantime, my sister is driving it, she said it stops fine. I told her to drive it for a few days and I would bleed the brakes again so we'll see.
Dustin

Mine (95' MC and double booster in a previously ABS 91') kinda does the same deal - plenty of power but a little soft in the pedal at the very start - (ford 11" drums in back and waggy calipers up front)

I did do a bunch of hard reverse stops to set the drums and that made it a whole bunch better but it is still kinda soft up front - I was debating on adding a 10lb check valve to the rear and see what happens (the pedal slop goes away if I use a little e-brake as I brake???)

Will bench bleeding the MC make that much of a difference - I would think if you had any air you would know it right away!?

Matt

Got the same kind of problem with mine. Stops good but the pedal still moves about 1-2" before lockup. One thing you might try though. A friend with a shop found a bleeding procedure in an old Raybestos book. It takes 3 people. 1 to push the pedal, 1 to work the bleeders at the wheel and 1 to push the pin in in the end of the porportioning (sp?) valve, Made a world of difference on mine.

Just as a point of reference, I swapped the vacuum booster & master cylinder in my 94 for a 95 set. Made a set of adapter lines for the prop valve, and did a 4 wheel bleed. No spacer, and no games with the brake switch.

Best brakes I've ever had on it.

ChiXJeff

Back