• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Right hand drive steering question

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
Both my steering sector and high pressure line have started to leak. The question is does anybody know if right hand drives ever came in manual steering? I vastly prefer manual steering anyway, over half the vehicles I've owned have been manual steering; I don't wheel, never have to parallel park, and I'd rather mount my alternator in the pump position anyway. There is a slight chance that I might be able to get one off of a DJ5, does anyone think that would work?

If you don't wheel, it doesn't matter where the alternator is. If you are going to buy used parts, buy the parts that bolt on, or rebuild what you have. RHD is uncommon, how uncommon do you think RHD manual steering is ?

There are no used rhd parts to be bought. New ones are super pricey and will have to be replaced again in the future anyway. And I would like to upgrade the alternator because with all my accessories running I'm at 11 volts or so and the stock location is way too tight to put in a larger one. It already hits the battery tray on occasion. Anyway, like I said, I prefer manual steering and its one less thing to worry about while I'm out on the route.

I am wondering why you are trying so hard to complicate some simple repairs and routine maintenance ? A properly functioning alternator should be putting out 13.8 - 14.4 volts. If you need more output there are some simple modification to fit a higher output alternator yourself, or you can go with an aftermarket high output type such as Mean Green. A leaky steering box can be rebuilt, or replaced. I see RHD Cherokee parts on eBay, Amazon, and the Google.

Maybe bimmerjeeper can help you.

Good Luck.

I appreciate that you are trying to help, I've already upgraded the cables and the alternator is fairly new; but thats not the point anyway. The point is I prefer manual steering and would rather convert it and not ever deal with it again. I've done it before on a camaro, a Chevy truck and a lhd xj years ago. My metro and rx7 were manual, my 68 f250 highboy and spitfire are manual. Early xjs could be bought in manual but I'm pretty sure the option was dropped by the time they started making them in rhd. I was just wondering if someone overseas knew if they came like that because they came with all sort of weird options elsewhere, like how my 95 has a power/comfort switch even though they discontinued it here in 91.

I've done some research and it appears that dj5s used Saginaw boxes and as everyone knows Saginaw boxes fit xjs so it should bolt right up. Gotta see if the guy i sold my dj to still has the box, he was just using the frame for another project.

Manual RHD steering boxes for XJ may be available from Redhead, the page below says to call for availability. $300 is not out of line for a rebuild.
https://redheadsteeringgears.com/product/1972-2000-jeeps-except-cj-manual-steering-gear/
If that doesn't work, Australia or New Zealand may be your best source of a RHD manual box.

I must come from a different generation, I couldn't wait to find power steering boxes for my old pickups.

Back