• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Airbags

Joecat

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know what company made the airbags and inflaters for the 1998 and 1999 xj . Also any info of the life expectancy of these units, I know the engine and drive train can keep going on and on,the electrical system not as good.

I remembered seeing something awhile back
They might be made by Takata.
But I can't find anything linking that brand specifically to an XJ.
Mostly newer like '05 and up though.
Might give you a place to start.

Are we asking about a factory design or aftermarket?

I am not aware of an OE design, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Aftermarket Air Lift 59507 is available for $250-$300 depending on where you buy.

I have a friend with air bags on the rear of his '01. He has had them for a long time. I think he has had to replace both bags and pump over the years, but neither has been prohibitively expensive. I have considered adding them on my '96 so as to keep the ride level unchanged when heavily loaded. As it is, if I am loaded up for a trip my headlights ended up too high. Airbags would solve that.

Last edited:
I read the article, it did not take into account defective parts “takata” or say what the life of the vehicle is.a life time warenty is not for ever. Thanks

I read the article, it did not take into account defective parts “takata” or say what the life of the vehicle is.a life time warenty is not for ever. Thanks

Are you asking about the dash airbags or aftermarket suspension lift airbags?

There has been no notifications, recalls, or other communications indicating that the XJ Cherokee has Takata airbags.

Everything I read on the subject says that "no automaker currently recommends a time or mileage limit when airbags should be replaced" and "airbags won't wear out or require replacement, no matter how long you own the vehicle."

Last edited:
I saw on Google news a new airbag recall,12 million vehicles,ZF/TRW airbag system parts,the bags may last “for ever” but the rest of the system does not seem to.

even seat belts have a life expectancy, the webbing deteriorates. Sun and chemical exposure can accelerate seat belt deterioration. On the retracting seatbelts, mechanisms can wear, gum up, and be compromised by foreign debris, even seatbelt latches can cease to function properly.

I think that airbags likewise will have a limited life.

even seat belts have a life expectancy, the webbing deteriorates. Sun and chemical exposure can accelerate seat belt deterioration. On the retracting seatbelts, mechanisms can wear, gum up, and be compromised by foreign debris, even seatbelt latches can cease to function properly..

While seatbelts degrade over time, there isn't an easy way to replace them and still have the retractor.
I have tried and failed to find an auto upholstery shop who is willing to sew new sets but they all refuse, not wanting to assume the legal liability.
New sets, with retractors, do not seem to be available.
Anyone found a source without having to give up the shoulder belt retractor?
I would like to replace the belts in both our 2001 and 1997 XJs.

While seatbelts degrade over time, there isn't an easy way to replace them and still have the retractor.
I have tried and failed to find an auto upholstery shop who is willing to sew new sets but they all refuse, not wanting to assume the legal liability.
New sets, with retractors, do not seem to be available.
Anyone found a source without having to give up the shoulder belt retractor?
I would like to replace the belts in both our 2001 and 1997 XJs.

This guy Crist Clapper posted on his build on another forum about having his done.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/build-my-1987-wagoneer-xj-limited-151300/index13/

Read posts 190 and 191.

I think he also has a build thread here. Think this is where he used.

https://www.julianos.com/Default.asp

Think just new webbing though. Found this place too.

https://www.myairbags.com/product/colored-seat-belt-webbing-replacement/

I know the topic moved over to seat belts,very similar topic,the aging of safety equipment. Do you think the air bag system reaches an age where it is unreliable, to work when it should and not work when it should,becomes a liability instead of an asset. What other electro mechanical system in a car reliably lasts 25 years? I think of stuff like this when I am working on an older car. Thanks

Back