• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 4.0 in a 2000

JOBurke

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a 2000 Xj with a cracked head.:doh: I can get my hands on a 4.0 out of a 97 xj for about a 1/3 of the price of a 2000-01 4.0 with equivalent miles. So a first glance it seems that will be my cheapest option for getting it running as soon as possible.

I know I'll have to fab up some bracket for the coil pack. But in my research I've seen contradicting articles/forum post about the rest.

Will this be plug n play or will I have to swap sensors?

Does it matter which intake I use?

Can I use the exhaust manifold from the 97? Or do I need to use the one from the 2000 with adaptor? Or just go aftermarket?

Is there anything else I need to know?

Any and all input/advice would be greatly appreciated.
:us:

All XJ Cherokee and ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0L engine blocks interchange.

Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, throttle body, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine computer sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

Either intake will work, all the sensors should be the same. There is a work around to use an adapter plate to mate an older head to the newer exhaust manifold. >> https://jeepexhaustadapter.com/

The ideal swap would be to also locate an improved and crack resistant TUPY 0331 head from a 2002+ TJ Wrangler or WJ Grand Cherokee.

I do have a 2000 XJ. K Suspensions has a kit to replace the coil pack with a Viper Coil and plug wires. If you plan on retaining the '97 head, then either a full length header and adapt at the down pipe. Or as you noted a shorty header for an 00+. Most of the shorty headers are diameter 1.5. That is the diameter of you '97 heads exhaust ports.

I do have a 2000 XJ. K Suspensions has a kit to replace the coil pack with a Viper Coil and plug wires. If you plan on retaining the '97 head, then either a full length header and adapt at the down pipe. Or as you noted a shorty header for an 00+. Most of the shorty headers are diameter 1.5. That is the diameter of you '97 heads exhaust ports.

I'm swapping block and head from the 97. It should be delivered tomorrow. Plan is just get it on the road. And see if my block it salvageable if not I can get one cheap then as I can afford it put together what I need to rebuild it for when I wear this one out.

I've been thinking about what it would take to keep the 97 exhaust manifold and adapt.

I would suppose all you need is the exhaust manifold, the down pipe, and the pipe to the cat converter.

This is my view on the adaptation. I am guessing you are going to use a stock '97 exhaust manifold. The O2 goes into the down pipe on a '97, (or is it the manifold itself?). On an '00 it is also located on the down pipe, but a bit different location. From mental views I would think you would need to make an adapter pipe from the '97 exhaust manifold to the '00 down pipe.

If the o2goes in the exhaust manifold, then you'd have a choice of plugging one of the bungs.

No one has asked yet — Is your 2000 federal or cali emissions?

Federal emmisions has 2 o2 sensors
Cali has 4 o2 sensors

You can convert the Cali emission over to the 97 head — its not cheap — when I did it I used the adapter plate and gasket sandwich — been fine for 3 years now

Another route is to buy a performance aftermarket exhaust manifold. There are the offshore ones for roughly $150. These are 'shorty' headers. The ID of the tubes are usually diameter 1.5. The diameter of the '96-99 heads are 1.5. I think the Flow Tech header from Holley is 1.6. That is what the ID is of headers made for 87-99 headers. That would keep the rest of your exhaust stock. The US aftermarket ones run about $500-$600.
I am curious to what the adapter plate cost. I would take it that it uses the stock cast iron exhaust manifolds.
I do have a JBA exhaust manifold for a '00-01. I plan to put that on my '00 at some point. I want to stage the mods, so I get a feel for what results they deliver. Those cast iron exhaust manifolds looked very restrictive, when I looked at a pair some time ago.
Some of these shorty headers are listed for Wranglers. I do not know why they would not work for the XJ. I was think of the difference between the Fed and the Cali versions. The Cali and '01 has the O2 sensors in the pipe between the exhaust manifolds and the down or cross over pipe. The '00 Fed is on the down or cross over pipe.

Mines fed emissions. 2 O2 sensors, But once I got it on the lift and started wrenching I quickly realized the exhuast as a whole was in bad shape.
So I tore it all out.

The engine i bought had a stainless 3-2-1 header on it (probably the cheapest option on the web by the looks of it) but she'll do. I ordered front pipe, cat, muffler, and tail pipe from Walker. Cost me $360 ish after tax. That should be here early tomorrow. Also was pleasantly surprised it had new fan, water pump, head bonds, thermostat housing, and all new gaskets every were. It came out of a 97 that someone gave the accordion mod.

As far has plug and play i kept the 2000 fuel rail, injectors, throttle body and intake. None of the 97 stuff had same connectors. Also had to switch over oil pressure sensor. But thats it. Oh and need to figure something out to secure tranny lines. They won't mount to the oil pan how they did on the 2000.

Been working on it a few hours a night after work. And about got it buttoned up. Well drivable. Its going to need brakes soon and leaf springs she's a little saggy in the rear.

Mines fed emissions. 2 O2 sensors, But once I got it on the lift and started wrenching I quickly realized the exhuast as a whole was in bad shape.
So I tore it all out.

The engine i bought had a stainless 3-2-1 header on it (probably the cheapest option on the web by the looks of it) but she'll do. I ordered front pipe, cat, muffler, and tail pipe from Walker. Cost me $360 ish after tax. That should be here early tomorrow. Also was pleasantly surprised it had new fan, water pump, head bonds, thermostat housing, and all new gaskets every were. It came out of a 97 that someone gave the accordion mod.

As far has plug and play i kept the 2000 fuel rail, injectors, throttle body and intake. None of the 97 stuff had same connectors. Also had to switch over oil pressure sensor. But thats it. Oh and need to figure something out to secure tranny lines. They won't mount to the oil pan how they did on the 2000.

Been working on it a few hours a night after work. And about got it buttoned up. Well drivable. Its going to need brakes soon and leaf springs she's a little saggy in the rear.
Hey, sorry to wake up a dead thread, but im about to to the same thing. My 2000 motor has an awful lot of chunkies in the oil pan, and i can only find motors from 97-99.
Im just wondering if there were any other issue you had swapping over or any other tips you got for me.

Sent from my SM-A326W using Tapatalk

Any 1987-2001 XJ Cherokee 4.0 L engine block or 1993-98 ZJ Grand Cherokee 4.0 L engine block will interchange.

Remove and re-use ( or replace with new ) as needed or required from your original engine: Intake/Exhaust manifolds, motor mounts, throttle body, fuel injector rail, flex plate/flywheel, cylinder head, water pump, distributor-less ignition or distributor assembly, OBD engine computer sensors, fan belt driven accessories, and/or mounting brackets.

If your 2000-2001 XJ Cherokee has a cracked 0331 head, buy a good used redesigned and more durable TUPY 0331 head from a 2002+ 4.0L TJ Wrangler or WJ Grand Cherokee.* The 0331 head up through mid-2001 was fit only for scrap - look for a replacement with the TUPY foundry mark under the oil fill cap, this is the revised head that will last. Available late 2001-2006, this TUPY 0331 can be retrofitted in place of an early 0331 head without difficulty.

Back