• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing Remote Start

i've installed a couple cheap ($80-$150) remote starts without alarm.

so far i've always been very surprised to find that they actually come with very detailed writeups.......or maybe those were instructions. lol either way, if you read the instructions carefully before even leaving the couch, and making sure you understand it, then when you go out to the vehicle, and start going through the instructions step by step, everything will fall right into place.

couple pointers

1) MAKE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. i speak from experience. lol

2) make sure you decide before you start working, what your method of stripping/cutting/re-attaching wires will be and that you have the proper tools.

3) if at one point the instructions don't agree with what you see/have, DO NOT ignore or "re-configure" the setup. go to their website and look for updates or call their tech line.

one of the last systems i installed required cutting a "loop" from the circuit board for one of the options i wanted to run. after not being able to find the "loop", i called tech support and they informed me that the hardware had changed, but the manual wasn't updated. so he walked me through the update of that one step, and everything continued normally after that.

4) check and double check your work, connections, and then seal them all properly. re-connect the battery and enjoy.

IH8RDS said:
I installed a bulldog security system from Sam's club about 5 years ago. I couldn't tell you if it still works. The remote takes a weird battery that I haven't found yet. Sure was nice when it worked :bawl:

Came with good instructions

check walmart or radioshack. i have used a couple bulldog systems in the past, and also have had other devices around the house that used goofy batteries. i've always been able to find them at walmart in the electronics department.

what year Cherokee are we talking about?

The Cherokee is a easy rig to do.

I install these for a living and I only install viper stuff. you get what ya pay for when it comes to remote starts

Stay away from anything named after a fuzzy animal

but I can get ya a wiring diagram if you let me know what year it is.

I just did my 2000 XJ Sport on Friday with the black key... I got an Ultra Start 1270XLR (around 2500 ft range) http://www.audiosavings.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=88eb384e-63ce-486c-aa9a-6b5acde4466c
and it was simple to find all the wires... http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=22508&KW=jeep+remote+window
this is the wiring diagram... an example I was in the mall yesterday pressed the start button walked into the store and half way across the parking lot to my jeep and it had started. This one so far has been the best one i've installed. any questions PM me

mtsz52784 said:
I just did my 2000 XJ Sport on Friday with the black key... I got an Ultra Start 1270XLR (around 2500 ft range) http://www.audiosavings.com/product_details.aspx?item_guid=88eb384e-63ce-486c-aa9a-6b5acde4466c
and it was simple to find all the wires... http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=22508&KW=jeep+remote+window
this is the wiring diagram... an example I was in the mall yesterday pressed the start button walked into the store and half way across the parking lot to my jeep and it had started. This one so far has been the best one i've installed. any questions PM me
Good to hear. I wheeled, and dealed a U1250A-TL (older unit, but is still new in the box) for my mom's ZJ for Christmas.

I also installed the bulldog remote starter about 3 weeks ago. It was given to me because my bro bought it on ebay and couldn't use it because his key had a anti theft in it. The bulldog system I got came with wire probe so you could easily find the right wires and their website really to the guesswork out of it. The website has the installation manual as well as vehicle specific wiring charts. I am quite wiring illiterate and I did it in about 4 hrs. No power locks or windows to worry about for me though. I have a removable faceplate on my cd player so I think it interfered with hooking up the starter to the tach but mine starts on the 2nd or 3rd try anyways. Hooking up to the brake light is important as it disconnects the system in case someone hops in while running. I love mine and have no concerns about batteries. Let me know if you have any problems.

Mine does have P/L and it was really easy to find the wires... the tach wire is really simple to find it is the all grey wire in the black plug that connects to the computer in the drivers side front under the hood... there is a grey, white and black plug... the black one is the one closest to the headlight. Mine always starts on the first time and P/L work everytime also... Took about 3 hours and i didn't install the optional P/W roll up. So in the summer you can have the key fob roll up your window. Neat option but not practical unless very lazy

Back