NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 11th, 2021, 21:34
NAXJA Forum User

Question Anyone running a BBK throttle body?

Hooked up a smoke machine to the XJ and finally found where that vacuum leak is coming from. Oil cap (which is what I get for cheaping out on a replacement part), a very small vacuum hose located near the firewall on the passenger side of the vehicle, and the throttle body. TB is leaking through the spool where all the cables hook up. Tried finding a rebuild kit online, but not having much luck (if anyone knows where I can get one, please let me know). There's also the option of buying a new one, and the only option available for almost $300 seems to be the BBK... bored out to 62 mm, improved throttle response and a slight horsepower gain (not that I really care about that, this Jeep is my DD). BBK also says that you do NOT have to tune your vehicle once you install this TB. Is this true? Is it worth saving up the money for a BBK unit, or am I better off looking elsewhere?
Old February 11th, 2021, 22:03
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Anyone running a BBK throttle body?

I'm running one on my stroker, it's been about 3yrs now.
Old February 11th, 2021, 22:13
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingshot505 View Post
Hooked up a smoke machine to the XJ and finally found where that vacuum leak is coming from. Oil cap (which is what I get for cheaping out on a replacement part), a very small vacuum hose located near the firewall on the passenger side of the vehicle, and the throttle body. TB is leaking through the spool where all the cables hook up. Tried finding a rebuild kit online, but not having much luck (if anyone knows where I can get one, please let me know). There's also the option of buying a new one, and the only option available for almost $300 seems to be the BBK... bored out to 62 mm, improved throttle response and a slight horsepower gain (not that I really care about that, this Jeep is my DD). BBK also says that you do NOT have to tune your vehicle once you install this TB. Is this true? Is it worth saving up the money for a BBK unit, or am I better off looking elsewhere?
Not sure but think this is what you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASvpGGE-XHU
Old February 12th, 2021, 06:06
NAXJA Forum User

What's wrong with a junkyard? Probably dozens for a few bucks.
Old February 12th, 2021, 07:37
NAXJA Member

I bought a remanufactured one from RockAuto. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...15943&jsn=1216

It whistles though under load at 2k RPM. Anyone know how to fix that?
Old February 12th, 2021, 09:14
NAXJA Member

I have a 62mm BBK TB on my '98 XJ. It has a stock motor, Thorley header and 2.5 exhaust. It runs good. I thought it ran a bit better with the stock one bored to 60mm. I did have a few electrical issues, that were causing some inconsistencies.
I did bore the stock 60mm myself. Its nice to have a Monarch 10EE, even if it is a Round Dial from 1942. When you bore a TB, it usually whistles, or so I have heard. Someone, somewhere posted that the IAC valve slot edges needed to be rounded. I took a debur tool and rounded or break edged them.