NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 20th, 2021, 12:42
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Random inconsistent miss issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbraketorque View Post
Did I say cheap Chinese or suggest a low cost sensor? I'm sure some OEM CPS sensors last 300K+ miles, but the reality is that the OEM sensor can go bad without a hint of warning at much lower mileages, as it did with mine that only had 110K miles the vehicle. I agree that the CPS is not likely to be the cause of his issue and I even noted that in my response, but I was just trying to provide some potentially helpful advice. I'm beginning to think that I choose the wrong forum to discuss XJs.
Easy there. I'm just pointing out that the quality of aftermarket parts sucks. People who don't realize this can actually cause themselves more headaches when they start blindly replacing parts with poor quality replacements. There are plenty of examples on this forum of new parts being bad right out of the box, and the person thinking "well that can't be the problem because it's brand new".
Old Yesterday, 15:04
NAXJA Forum User

Alright so I went and bought a noid light set to confirm what I thought was the issue but noid light is blinking as it should be so now I’m back to square one
Old Yesterday, 15:06
NAXJA Forum User

It also seems to idle lower. Around 600 rpm. Any suggestions
Old Yesterday, 19:41
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedSled View Post
Alright so I went and bought a noid light set to confirm what I thought was the issue but noid light is blinking as it should be so now Iím back to square one
How's the wiring look where it transitions between the engine to the firewall? It's not uncommon for the wiring to become chaffed or frayed inside, particularly if the motor mounts are bad. Often it shows up only when the engine moves during acceleration. I'd wiggle and shake that harness and see if it stumbles at idle.
Old Today, 08:50
How 'bout it Gonzo

^^This. It is a known issue . The injector harness will chafe where it bends around the fuel rail.
R.I.P."Buster" 86 laredo 2.8 ax5 10/85-9/17
In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele 1975-2008

Last edited by four_shot; Today at 18:41. Reason: Typo
Old Today, 15:21
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsoncl View Post
How's the wiring look where it transitions between the engine to the firewall? It's not uncommon for the wiring to become chaffed or frayed inside, particularly if the motor mounts are bad. Often it shows up only when the engine moves during acceleration. I'd wiggle and shake that harness and see if it stumbles at idle.
Was one of the first things I checked. Harness looks fine. No chafing
Old Today, 19:39
NAXJA Forum User

Ok so hereís what Iíve checked so far. Wiring is good from pcm to injectors. Did notice a chafed spot on the pigtail connector on the number two injector but itís not causing an issue. I will replace it after I fix the current issue. Clean IAC and replaced TPS sensor. I noticed an improvement in driving with the new TPS but the miss and noise is still there. Iím starting to think something internal. Possibly lifters or valves.. Or Iíve heard of head gasket issues causing misfires. Will be checking fuel pressure and cylinder pressure this weekend. Maybe that will tell me something. Any tips or ideas are welcome. Thanks