NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 17th, 2021, 16:47
NAXJA Member

Good 4.0 cam

Rebuilding my engine. Just stock nothing special. What cam would you suggest.

Last edited by black n red; February 17th, 2021 at 16:56.
Old February 21st, 2021, 11:44
NAXJA Member

Re: Good 4.0 cam

I went with a CompCam 268 for the stroker I am building. I ordered through Bishop-Buell Racing. Russ is a Guru on strokers and the 4.0L. Also, springs become a factor with a cam. I remember $150 for the regular cam and $300 for the nitride. Basically, what you are saying you want is what I want out of my stroker. Good low to midrange for a DD and possibly towing.
Old February 21st, 2021, 19:44
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Good 4.0 cam

Here's another option for you to consider for a 4.0 XJ cam. The original cam, in my 88XJ, have dimensionally wider lobes than the narrow lobes on the newer cams. Jeep engineers designed the wider cam lobes for a reason. Likewise, there have been many threads showing the lobe thickness variations between the older and newer cams. I wanted to use the wider cam I had, so I talked to Comp Cams about regrinding my original cam. I sent them my cam for inspection and then we talked about what "grinds" could be done to my cam to get the torque vs. RPM where I wanted it to be. It worked out perfectly.

Best regards,

CJR
Old February 24th, 2021, 08:19
NAXJA Forum User

Good 4.0 cam

Stock cam is pretty good as is. Wouldn't change cam profile unless you had some reason to.

It's not like any other engine where a mild stage 1 cam really wakes up the engine. Stock is good for 95% of engines out there.

Unless you're running higher compression or some other odd setup, stay stock.

Cam Research will custom grind a cam as well

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk