• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To build or not to build

mtnbikeboy

NAXJA Forum User
I own a stock 1987 XJ w/ the 4.0 & AW4. It currently has 211k miles and is still running strong. I was wondering what the reccomendations of anyone here are as to building it. Is the engine still good for awhile ( I've heard 300k stories) or should I just save my money and buy a newer lower mileage one to build.

I am not unfamiliar w/ XJs. I had an 86 2.8L for several yrs until a head gasket went (still sitting in my parents yard even though I'm married and was when it died :wierd: ). I have researched options here and on PBB for ~3 yrs (read-web wheeler) and know basically what I would like to do to start ( RE lift, 8.8 rear, bumpers, skids, internal cage, etc, etc). It is also the first time in my life where with careful budgeting I could afford to build up a Jeep. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Tim

The nice thing about XJ's is you can always get a newer one and swap the parts onto it later if need be.

MJR said:
The nice thing about XJ's is you can always get a newer one and swap the parts onto it later if need be.

As the one gets worn out, find another and swap in your parts, I'd say build it. It's what I like to call, the disposible XJ.

Back