• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MY adventure driving home from Moab...

freerider15

NAXJA Forum User
So there I am, making great time coming back from Moab, doing 70-75 the whole way home. Well I had gotten the dreaded deathwobble on the way home going through Vail (hit the bridge stressors and it sent me into the wobble). Well those weren't THAT bad, but still come to a full stop fits of DW. So Im about home, I'm turning off I-70 to head to Fort Collins...im close...1 hour left. Hit one of the uneven rises in the road on the turn... and BAM, DW HARD! almost sent me into one of the barriers as I tried to avoid the car next to me, and the one merging. This time it was overly bad. I looked in my rearview mirror and there was a dense cloud of tire smoke from the tires :bug:. Alright, so I keep going and hit a SMALL bump and the thing shakes horribly, which just realllly wasn't right, that and there was less response in the steering. SO I pulled over and looked to see what was wrong. Crouched down and and said my heart just kind of sank. Anyone else notice something wrong with the picture :dunno: :cry: I think it started to go coming back down Moab rim. I noticed for some reason my steering wheel was sitting cockeyed, and with my setup that means something is wrong, since that coulndt happen without something moving when it shouldn't. I looked at at everything when I came off the trail but couldn't see anything, and it still drove fine...

dscn1215im7.jpg

So, after pulling off in North Denver (waterworld exit) I just kinda sat there at a gas station thinking about WTF to do. My cell phone had decided to stop charging ever again, so no cell phone to call roomates or buddy with trailer (left earlier in the week from Moab) to come get me. Didn't have another battery so my welding sticks were useless. Finally remembered my ratchet straps and managed to ratchet strap the OAB back to the axle like so:

dscn1216qf4.jpg

I got DW a couple times driving home, and had to re-ratchet it down. THankfully this all happened about 2:00 in the morning so there was pretty much no traffic on I-25. I limped the Jeep home at about 35 MPH all the way from Denver to Fort Collins, and took me about 2.5 hours...

Well when I got home, I took a look a closer look the next day. I thought maybe the welds broke, man was I wrong. The DW was severe enough that it RIPPED the 1/4" metal in half, taking half the coil bucket with it. You can kind of see in the pics just how much damage was done :shock:

dscn1217as3.jpg

dscn1219yy2.jpg

dscn1220fc3.jpg

So I finally figured out how the fukk I was going to try and repair it. Took a bit of thinking but I think its definately good now, I braced the b*tch more this time around :D I'll let the pictures show how I managed to redo it all.

dscn1223pi6.jpg

dscn1221zm0.jpg

dscn1226dd2.jpg

dscn1246ae7.jpg

dscn1259kt9.jpg

dscn1258cp4.jpg

dscn1260bk4.jpg

I know some of the welds aren't the prettiest, but getting some of them done require some of the oddest positions i've been in :D. I also took off the trackbar bracket and had to re-weld some of it, and it was starting to shear the 1/4" of it too. Got it all back together and welded the trackbar bracket to the frame on each side, and I think the DW should be gone for good now. :thumbsup:

88xjlover said:
Yeah...what do you mean not the nicest welds, much nicer than I've seen on my own rig!
Time to rethink my skills if those aren't great!:laugh3:

Ok, I'm with you...I can weld...just not that good...

I was to busy trying to figure out how the FUKK I was going to get out of the predicament...I really didn't take any pictures. There were a TON of pictures taken though. Waiting for one of the guys to make a CD with everyones photos on it. Heres just a couple (Moab Rim)...If you look closely in the pics you can see my driver's side damage somewhat...Looks worse in person...

dscn1189nx6.jpg

dscn1195ae5.jpg

dscn1148ee4.jpg

Shutter was a little closed on this one...:D
dscn1149ao0.jpg

dscn1158st3.jpg

One thing I can say after this trip...Area BFE is the closest thing I've come to thats like JV...its like crack....so friggin addicting! I know where I'll be playing alot next year hopefully (pending build $$$)

Guessing you went with Tyler and all them? Looks like you all had fun.

Doesn't look like you'll have any more trackbar bracket issues, thank god for ratchet straps though.

Yeah I went with Tyler, Eric, and the rest. They had to head out early, so didnt really have anyone to wheel with the rest of the week. Yeah needless to say I'll be carrying more ratchet straps in the Jeep, never know when you might need em.

Back