• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drop brackets or radius arms

Skullver

Still Flailing
I was just thinking about going from RE 3.5" super flex which I have now to either RE drop brackets or long arms.

Does anyone have pics of drop brackets installed?

What pros/cons are there in comparing drop brackets to radius or long arms?

Thanks in advance!

personal preference...

if you go longarms - i wouldnt go radius arm longarms...

I've got the RE 4.5" lift with Drop Brackets, I just pm'd you about pics.

I have the RE 4.5" lift with the DB's. They correct the CA geometry to make the ride on road awesome, help flex off road, and push the axle slightly forward back into the center of the well to help tire clearance at full stuff.

They do decrease clearance behind the brackets, but they are a pretty stout build. Pretty easy install also.

I run the RE short UCA's and LCA's with about 5.5" lift, lots of cutting, and 35's. Personal, untested opinion: I think once you get above about 4-5" with an XJ, you're better off going to a long/radius arm setup of some type. Steering and Suspension geometry problems seem to start to compound above that height.

That being said, mine rides and trails like a dream compared to my old lift. I'll keep the DB's and short arms for a long while and work on other mods before I move to a longarm setup.

Skullvarian said:
I was just thinking about going from RE 3.5" super flex which I have now to either RE drop brackets or long arms.

Does anyone have pics of drop brackets installed?

What pros/cons are there in comparing drop brackets to radius or long arms?

Thanks in advance!
Check this out:

http://www.4x4getaways.com/LongArms.htm

That's old_man's deal if you have any questions.

For the price of drop brackets from RE, you can make your own radius arms. I'm thinking about doing this once I have the time.

Hope that helps.

i know what you mean.. Really the best system i have seen is the TNT setup.. Jeez it is expensive, but as far as clearance and ride.. its the best IMO

Drop brackets are ok.. kinda a band aid type fix if you ask me though... and they take away ground clearance..

The rockkrawler kit is supposed to have little bind due to the 3 link design

so many options!

URF 3 link is the ticket......now if they would just sell them to the general public. :)

I have RE DB with adj upper and lower RE arms with 7-8" and it rides well on and off road. I've thought about Long Arms, but down the road. I just got a Cherokee Nation t-case skid and don't want to have to get rid of it with the LA crossmember.

I went with the TJ RE 4 link like stock with my hp44 since I had the rare "Camper Edition" with leaf springs, if I had the regular coiled hp44 from a F-150 or Bronco I'd go with the stock Ford radius arms.

Troy

I have researched this extensively, for almost twenty min, anyway.

Here is what I have found out by talking to others who have done all sorts of things.

Long arms - Unloading, you must use a limiting strap. The long arms are right there in the open, they will get beat up on rocks. They also put undue stress on axle tubes.

Short arms - Rough ride, limited flex, unless you get adj, LCA, the axle will not be in the right place any more.

Short arms with drop brackets - Improved control arm angle, Improved ride. The drop brackets them selves ARE right where they will get beat on rocks, but they will take alot of abuse. Very easy to switch to from a short arm set up.

URF 3 link - the best, if you can aford it. costly to buy, not an easy fab for a DIY. requires quite a bit of skill.

I, my self am going to a short arm with drop brackets....for now :D

I couldn't find anything about URF 3-link, can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks all, very helpfull.

seanR said:
I have researched this extensively, for almost twenty min, anyway.

Here is what I have found out by talking to others who have done all sorts of things.

Long arms - Unloading, you must use a limiting strap. The long arms are right there in the open, they will get beat up on rocks. They also put undue stress on axle tubes.

Haven't experienced unloading, excess droop when flexed out yes. Beat up on rocks? See below... ;)

DSC02951a.JPG

rangerjoe2001 said:
Drop brackets are ok.. kinda a band aid type fix if you ask me though... and they take away ground clearance..

I agree... I have had RE DB's and now have TnTCustom's Y-Link. I don't know why I ever went with the drop brackets... The ride is so much smoother both on and offroad. And I have yet to run into a situation where the DB's would have out performed the Y-Link...

TnT Y-link>DB>Short arms IMO...

-Will

the difference of 600$

$600? how so? Are you comparing apples to apples? To give a far comparison of any long arm kit on the market you have to compare it with similar parts meaning drop brackets and fully adjustable upper AND lower control arms. Since RE is the drop bracket game in town (for now) compare their brackets, braces, and both upper and lower arms. Prices off their website total $831.80

Some will say I already have adjustable uppers and lowers, well you still paid for them at one point or another...

Jim, we are manufactirer direct only, sorry no vendors at this time.

thats not the point. you could also add in the t-case skid as well and get it even higher priced. but as it stands there is 600 dollars between the two. i would love to get the tnt kit, but 600 is a big difference. hell thats like 4 tanks of gas :D. that and i think i want to stick with short arms for now.

:thumbup: on a great kit though!

Back