• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pre-trailrun tech inspections

DDCxj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to get my Jeep ready so I can go on trail rides when the come up (naxja sponsored specifically). I've been saving up a little at a time trying to get it ready for Mohawk Madness. I became a paying member and expected to get something on what kinds of things are checked in the inspections and whats exceptable and what isn't.

One of the last things I have to do is get some front tow points

I posted this a while back and finally got the extra cash to get it done but wasn't sure if it would be exceptable. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54866&highlight=protofab+bumper

So in short, I have the protofab bumper without the reciever hitch which bolts up in the 3 stocks locations per side.. I was going to get JKS frame plates that ChuckD suggested which would give me an extra 1/4" of steel on each side of each framrail and would extend back further so that if I did need to tug on my front bumper, the stress would be over a greater area of the frame. Would this be okay? Would I need to add d-ring shackles or a reciever hitch to my bumper or would wrapping the strap around the bumper be sufficient enough?

I just don't want to get there and be told I can't go cause I have no front tow points. So if someone could shed some light on this it would be great.

Thanks

Yeah front tow hooks (and rear) along with a FS Spare are the 3 biggest things I can think of that WILL keep you out of a NAXJA run if you don't have them.

Depending on how that bumper mounts, I think the easiest and probably least expensive way to get front tow points with that bumper would be to get a set of XJ tow hook brackets like THESE or THESE. You should be able to mount them right over the bumper mounting brackets. They would use the 3 bumper mount bolts and add a 4th 1/2" thru-frame bolt on either side

-Bic

Thanks for the reply Bic

I opened the Custom 4x4 page and at first I thought you wanted me to get a winch....but then I saw the brackets.

My bumper mounts in the three stock locations, so I was going to get these from JKS so that if I pulled on my bumper it would pull on a bigger area of the frame and in my opion would probably be a lot stronger than tow hooks. But I dont exactly know the rules. I dont really see the difference in pulling straight from a well mounted bumper or pulling from tow hooks if they are mounted the same but the frame plates cover more area than the tow hook brackets.

If I can help it I dont want to buy both the plates and the hooks and brackets. And I was planning on buying thpse frame plates anyways.

Oh yeah those weld in JKS frame reinforcements rock and they have mounting points for tow hooks designed in so you wouldn't need both those and tow hook brackets. But if you're going to go to the trouble of installing the JKS braces then you might as well do the extra few steps to mount tow hooks to them to give you a secure place to attach a strap rather than slipping a loop over the end of the tube bumper.

-Bic

Last edited:
Are you using the JKS plates on one of your Jeeps?

Grizzley PMed with some ideas. I didn't realize that I wouldn't need the tow hook brackets if I got those. I think I'm gonna go ahead and order the JKS plates and a nice set of tow hooks and be done with it. Grizzley also suggested maybe wrappig a treesaver around the bumper and connect both ends with a d-ring shackle and then a strap to that which would be easy to do. That way the load would be more spread out over the bumper and frame.

If Elia's has those in stock I might take a ride up there next weekend.

no I've got the C-rok plate on one and the other one has the Rigid bumper that mounts all the way back to the big hole in the frame and includes the steering box bolts, both of those are bolt-in, but accomplish the same objective of reinforcing the frame where the steering box attaches. Both my bumpers also have D-ring mounts so I'm not using tow hooks anymore. If the JKS plates don't come with the tow hooks then shoot me a PM, I've got a pair you can have.

-Bic

i dont' know if you have the tube bumper or the standard one but here is a pic of min i just drilled holes and mounted some tow hooks with grade 8 or 5 bolts. sorry the pic is huge
pictureje8zw.jpg

DDCxj said:
Grizzley also suggested maybe wrappig a treesaver around the bumper and connect both ends with a d-ring shackle and then a strap to that which would be easy to do. That way the load would be more spread out over the bumper and frame.
I'm not an officer any longer so I don't have to pass on this, but from what you're describing I cannot believe it would pass tech inspection. I'm not familiar with the bumper you have, but most bumpers have fairly sharp edges at the back, and if you wrap a strap or a tree saver around it, you're just asking to have the strap or tree saver cut and shredded.

The rules are rather simple "Adequate tow points." A bumper is not a "point" -- unless you have some device that is designed for the attachment of a strap or a winch cable, you do not have a "tow point."

If we allow d-ring tabs that are welded to the face of a bumper instead of running through to the mounting area, I think this is a better set up than that.

17fronttow-med.jpg

You're pulling the vehicle with the load spread over both mounts.

Looks pretty redneck to me. I wouldn't pass it.

I suggest the chapter officers get together back-channel, discuss the issue, and render a formal determination.

I guess I don't understand the mentality that will spend hundreds of dollars on bling-bling BEFORE buying the less expensive stuff that will satisfy the rules and allow you to get on the trails in safety with the group. The current approach seems to be: spend all the money on stuff you don't need, then bytch that you "can't afford" tow hooks or a fire extinguisher.

C'mon people, get with the program. NAXJA did not write these minimal safety regulations just to harrass the members. They are called "safety" regulations for a reason -- they are what NAXJA feels represent a MINIMUM level of safety, both for you and for the other members and guest around you. Rather than expend a lot of energy trying to get around the rules, why not expend that energy on making your rig safe?

Last edited:
Eagle I don't know why you're going off...If you'd read the whole thread instead of concentrating on one sentance and "bytching" about it then you might see that Dean is asking what he should do to be in compliance given the equipment he already has on his Jeep, he's not trying to get around the rules and he's not necesarily looking for the cheapest options either...I'm not sure what more you want a member to do than that? :nono:

Eagle said:
Looks pretty redneck to me. I wouldn't pass it.

I suggest the chapter officers get together back-channel, discuss the issue, and render a formal determination.

I guess I don't understand the mentality that will spend hundreds of dollars on bling-bling BEFORE buying the less expensive stuff that will satisfy the rules and allow you to get on the trails in safety with the group. The current approach seems to be: spend all the money on stuff you don't need, then bytch that you "can't afford" tow hooks or a fire extinguisher.

C'mon people, get with the program. NAXJA did not write these minimal safety regulations just to harrass the members. They are called "safety" regulations for a reason -- they are what NAXJA feels represent a MINIMUM level of safety, both for you and for the other members and guest around you. Rather than expend a lot of energy trying to get around the rules, why not expend that energy on making your rig safe?

As Bic said, I'm not crying about spending money but simply trying to find a way of doing things right without buying things I don't need and using some of what I have.

I do not see what the difference is between using d-ring shackles on the bumper which would be mounted using those JKS frame reinforcements that I posted a link to and wrapping a strap as Grizzley showed. And as Grizzley mentioned, I also believe the lod would be spread out more the the strap wrapped as he drew it.

I PMed Mark Hinkley, who also designed the plates for JKS. In short he said that there will not be any problem pulling with the bumper mounted to the plates. The plates actually do include tow hook brackets. Since I now know that, I am getting a set of tow hooks to properly mount. On top of being reinforcments and having tow hook brackets, those steel plates are made long enough to weld to the bumper and use as bumper mounting brakets. If that still wont be adequate hen I dont know what else to do.

I will admit that I bought that bumper almost 3 years ago and before I found out about NAXJA. When I bought it I did want something strong but I also wanted something that looked good and I like the look of prerunners and that is a pretty weld made bumpers with the exception of the brackets only using thee stocks bolts. I found this board and realized I needed to do something about that and lack of front tow points and now I'm simply trying to do that while keeping my bumper and passing the inspection.

Here is what I have decided to do about the situation after this thread and a few PMs:

I am keeping my bumper and buying the JKS SBS sytem. I will not be using the SBS system as my mounting bracket for my bumper since they must be welded to the frame and that would make it a pain in the ass to take the bumper off. I will be getting a set of tow hooks which will be mounted to the SBS system (which is bolted and welded to the frame). If thats not proper front tow point then I don't what is.

Oh by the way, I do have a fire extinguisher......and a shovel.....and a saw.....and another shovel, and a 4-ton come-a-long, and 20k pound straps (with loops on each end), and tools, and even a few spare parts.

DDCxj said:
I will be getting a set of tow hooks which will be mounted to the SBS system (which is bolted and welded to the frame). If thats not proper front tow point then I don't what is.

the initial intention of your thread got lost... if the brackets are as solid as i expect a "hinkley-esque" design to be there should be no issues... but just like everything else.. visual will be the final word.

sidriptide said:
the initial intention of your thread got lost... if the brackets are as solid as i expect a "hinkley-esque" design to be there should be no issues... but just like everything else.. visual will be the final word.

Thanks for the response Mike. The original plan was a little different than what most people would be doing so I wanted to check on it before I did it. But I did find find out later that those brackets have tow hook brackets incorporated anyway.

Hinkley assured me that they would hold up with no problem but I do understand that he will not be the one doing the inspection. If whoever is doing it does not think it is safe then thats fine, I can always fix it for the next trip. I don't want to make anyway uncomfortable with the safety of pulling me if I get stuck, especially my first time out with you guys.

Thnaks to you and whoever else helped me out with this. I appreciate it.

Hey if theres any wheeling going on in or around this area anytime soon, let me know. Im ready to start hittin up some trails and lookin to have fun!!

I also just gotta get my front tow hooks on and get rid of my hitch ball.

Can you bolt up tow hooks to the towing reciever itself????

As for armor, i just need to fab up a t-case skid and weld down the smitty side step bars better.

Last is a set of front disconnects so if anyone has a used pair for sale...let me know ok!!

BIG-G

DDCxj said:
Thanks for the response Mike. The original plan was a little different than what most people would be doing so I wanted to check on it before I did it. But I did find find out later that those brackets have tow hook brackets incorporated anyway.

Hinkley assured me that they would hold up with no problem but I do understand that he will not be the one doing the inspection. If whoever is doing it does not think it is safe then thats fine, I can always fix it for the next trip. I don't want to make anyway uncomfortable with the safety of pulling me if I get stuck, especially my first time out with you guys.

Thnaks to you and whoever else helped me out with this. I appreciate it.

let us know when you get them done so maybe someone can look at it ahead of time before a trail ride. i would expect it to be a good setup though. maybe just some good pics?

I'll let you know. I ordered them on Saturday so I'm hoping to have them by the end of the week and hopefully installed within a couple weeks so I can do that August 14th run, but lately it's been hard to find any free time for anything.

BIG-G said:
I also just gotta get my front tow hooks on and get rid of my hitch ball.

Can you bolt up tow hooks to the towing reciever itself????

As for armor, i just need to fab up a t-case skid and weld down the smitty side step bars better.

Last is a set of front disconnects so if anyone has a used pair for sale...let me know ok!!

BIG-G

Anyone have any feedback for me??? I dont wanna get there and not pass inspection. Im getting a battery tie down soon, i have the stock spare and a full size spare with no rim incase i bust a bead, 48" hi-lift, hookless straps, welded up smitty bars with an added steel bar 2" under the rocker pannels, and some others. I still need to fab up a t-case skid tho and was thinking about making the home made snorkle.(is it needed there)?
What i want is FRONT DISCONNECTS BAD!! Rear sway will be removed and my ears are "wide open" for any other sugestions to do to my rig before the trip!!!!!!
Thanks guys.

BIG-G said:
What i want is FRONT DISCONNECTS BAD!!.

why is that? you do not "need" them to run with us.. but they are a definate benefit if you are serious about wheeling..

i'm not sure i understand your idea about the hooks on the receiver though. i like to see some kind of accesory that fits in the hitch properly with a pin and will accept a strap.. 4wd hardware has big hooks like that on special all the time for under $20..

Back