• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater core replacement.

Tacowhip

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I’m planning on replacing the heater core and ac evaporator on my 95 Cherokee. Has anyone had to replace the foam used in the heater box shell, and firewall? If so, what was used. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following this thread. Do us a favor and do a write up. There is hardly anything out there on changing out the heater core on pre-97 XJs, and they appear to be very different.

They are very different. It looks like there are 2 parts to the hvac unit. I would do a walkthrough, but have it already almost disassembled. Waiting till the weekend so I have time to pull the ac charge out of it and disconnect the evaporator lines. That all that’s left till I can remove the one half of the box and expose the heater core. There’s a guy on YouTube whose walkthrough I was loosely following because he doesn’t have his air conditioning hooked up, and he’s actually taking of more than he needs to, to get the heater core out because he’s putting in a new dash. He explains all this in the vid. If I can find it, I’ll post the link if allowed in this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following this thread. Do us a favor and do a write up. There is hardly anything out there on changing out the heater core on pre-97 XJs, and they appear to be very different.

Theres a lot out there for this job. Evac AC, Disconnect all wires/plugs Drop the column, pull the 6nuts holding the dash, pull the box- engine bay bolts, replace foam or it will likely leak. It's not even close to as bad a job as it sounds.

O.p. I've seen many trim foam to fit.

Back