• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Gear Box - Recommendations

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
I was after some recommendations for steering gear boxes. It seems that even Jeep are offering re-manufactured units and cost $335 versus $125 at Autozone / Pepboys. Are the Jeep boxes rebuilt better?

Good luck with any mass produced, re-manufactured steering box, most are junk. Look up old man, on this forum for a rebuild, buy new or go to a racing steering box builder. Been there, got a pile of bad boxes. YMMV

Good luck with any mass produced, re-manufactured steering box, most are junk. Look up old man, on this forum for a rebuild, buy new or go to a racing steering box builder. Been there, got a pile of bad boxes. YMMV

Thanks for the endorsement.

No matter which way you go, put a filter in the return line. I am seeing way to many second failures due to crap circulating through the system that were left over from the previous setup, causing all kinds of problems.

I also recommend replacing the hoses. They seem to be degrading due to age and the liner sluffing off.

i've been through a couple bad boxes, i suggest going with a local company where it's easy to exchange it if/when it doesnt work. mailing crap back when it doesnt work and having a vehicle down until you get it back sucks....
i finally ended up with a remanned zj box and it works.

I'm needing to get a gear box myself... was going to go the ZJ junkyard route, and eventually have the one in there now, rebuilt.

old_man, could you by chance PM or post where/how to put the filter in the return line? It sounds simple, but instructions or a visual would help =) and what type of filter?

Autozone actually has a filter especially made for this. It runs around $9.

Many remanufacturers have the requirement of a filter in their warranty.

Isn't a Dodge Durango steering box an easy upgrade?

The Durango box is a pretty straight forward swap with some spacers. The biggest issue is really geometry on a lifted vehicle and the strength of the front frame rail (cracks). A hydro assist is preferable. It takes the load off of the frame rail and puts the power inline with the tie rod. This keeps the tierod from bending when you drop the drivers and stuff the passenger tire, while you try to turn. I can park my rig against a rock, then turn the wheel with one finger while the steering pushes the XJ away from the rock. It also is a dream to drive on the highway.

The biggest issue with a hydro assist is that you have to tear down the steering gear, then drill and tap, then clean everything before reassembly. If you have the tools and expertise, it isn't all that technically hard, but there are a lot of things you can do wrong just in the assembly, not to mention the issue of getting it adjusted correctly.

Also, if you are going to do your own, make sure you get the kit with the bearings. On the newer boxes, you simply can't buy a kit with the bearings, you have to buy an early kit and steal the bearings, then buy the newer kit for the seals. Also watch out for Edleman kits. While I have used them for over a hundred gear rebuilds, lately their seals seem to be crappy. I have had several leak right away, even when everything was done right.

Tom, do the steering braces really do anything for the gear boxes? or is it more to prevent unibody cracking? good investment/waste of money?

Back