• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

light duty winch?

gjxj

NAXJA Forum User
I need a winch strictly for moving vehicles about my property. Flat pulls and up a slope of about 10% max. Looking for opinions on using a small "atv" winch (eg warn VRX 25 , 2500 lb ) .

I figure the actual max pull is well under 1000lb up the hill so on paper this will work..

Thoughts?

I wouldn't just because of the holding capacity, for a few dollars more you could get a harborfreight.

sorry if that was unclear. I do not have an atv , I plan to mount the winch to my dead XJ to pull it up into my garage.
I guess the question is 2500lb Warn vs 5000lb "badland"\harbor freight, and that comes down to how realistic the ratings are on these things, and whats the duty cycle at partial capacity.

sorry if that was unclear. I do not have an atv , I plan to mount the winch to my dead XJ to pull it up into my garage.
I guess the question is 2500lb Warn vs 5000lb "badland"\harbor freight, and that comes down to how realistic the ratings are on these things, and whats the duty cycle at partial capacity.
I've winched trucks into my garage with my ATV and warn 2500lb winch. I see no reason that what you want to do won't work.

I do have a warn winch on my ATV -- I would think you will have no problem doing what you want to do -- I'd still go with the "power puller" I linked to above -- You'll find more uses for the thing once you have it

Back