• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure reading

Did a valve cover gasket (no crack in the 0331 head), oil pan gasket, RMS, and new Melling HV oil pump yesterday.

Doesn't really seem to be any difference in the pressure readings. Sometimes idles at 10 psi, sometimes idles at 0.

If nothing else, cleaning the pan, and putting the new pump in was an improvement.

48162381761_786338fae3_z.jpg

48162381791_91005650e7_z.jpg

Looks a little sludgy. Might want to work on that with some short interval oil changes and detergent additives. Some run ATF fluid briefly to clean out. But there are good threads on this.

Looks a little sludgy. Might want to work on that with some short interval oil changes and detergent additives. Some run ATF fluid briefly to clean out. But there are good threads on this.

I an vouch that a quart of ATF in the oil helps lean things out..... :roll:

I think at this point, my solution will be to pull out the "check gauges" bulb so it doesn't annoy me at idle and drive it until it blows up.

I think at this point, my solution will be to pull out the "check gauges" bulb so it doesn't annoy me at idle and drive it until it blows up.

I'd just ignore it and rock it till it went.... but that is me..... :kissyou:

I have a spare engine. Why not??

Pull the oil pressure sensor, Crank engine just enough to blow some oil out of the hole the sensor screws in, May be some of that sludge is "gumming up the "oil passage.

I removed my sensor after irattic levels, sprayed inside it with carbi cleaner, then gave it a few hits with compressed air into it to exercise it. Hold a good size rag over the location thread, and get someone to crank the motor a 1/4 turn. Wipe up all that oil that missed! Re-fit the sensor.
Mine has been great since.
Think they just get sticky

Agree with Down Under, the passage to the oil pressure sensor is small and curved, it can easily get clogged with sludge. You can use a pipe cleaner soaked in kerosene to clean it out.

Also try Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer. I had a truck once with low pressure. Put about half a quart of that in every oil change and it would stay in the safe zone for about 4000 miles before it started dropping. Oil change and Lucas and the pressure was back up. Not sure why but by using Lucas the engine told me when it was time for an oil change.

Back