NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 12th, 2018, 17:30
Greenspan's Avatar
Greenspan Greenspan is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 45
98 XJ AW4 which transmission filter kit and oil?

Hi, I got a 98 XJ with a 4 speed automatic AW4 transmission. I bought it a year and a half ago and it has 160k on it, I don't know the last time the transmission fluid and filter has been changed so I figure I should get around to doing it myself.

Looking on Quadratec there are multiple kits available and even more on Amazon, which one should I get?

https://www.quadratec.com/products/99999_83504032K.htm
https://www.quadratec.com/products/919003_07.htm
http://a.co/aRPp3Ue
http://a.co/9tnuEm4
http://a.co/geDfrVY


Are there any other transmission filter kits I should be considering? This job is going to be a bit of a pain so I want to make sure I do it right the first time with good parts.

Also, any suggestions on Transmission Oil I should be using to fill it up afterwards?

Last edited by Greenspan; February 12th, 2018 at 17:44.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 12th, 2018, 18:44
lawsoncl lawsoncl is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 4,678
Re: 98 XJ AW4 which transmission filter kit and oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenspan View Post
Hmm. $80 for the filter and 3 solenoids looks like a good deal if you have a bad solenoid. The solenoids in the included pictures kinda look used to me, but they do have a warranty.

The original filter is basically a screen, and I've always just inspected it and hosed it out with some solvent. At 160k, I'd just do a few fluid changes spaced a few weks apart and call it good.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 12th, 2018, 20:36
trippled trippled is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 1,809
Re: 98 XJ AW4 which transmission filter kit and oil?

Don't use those crappy gaskets. All the later ones were just siliconed on. They don't leak. The gasket will.

Most everyone will tell you dexron 2 atf.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old February 13th, 2018, 13:14
Greenspan's Avatar
Greenspan Greenspan is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 45
Re: 98 XJ AW4 which transmission filter kit and oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsoncl View Post
Hmm. $80 for the filter and 3 solenoids looks like a good deal if you have a bad solenoid. The solenoids in the included pictures kinda look used to me, but they do have a warranty.

The original filter is basically a screen, and I've always just inspected it and hosed it out with some solvent. At 160k, I'd just do a few fluid changes spaced a few weks apart and call it good.
I think my solenoids are okay as far as I can tell, but that does seem like a good deal.

You make a good point about just changing the fluid, it would be a lot easier than pulling the pan. Hrmmm...

So like a fluid like this would work?:

https://mobiloil.com/en/automatic-tr.../synthetic-atf
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 13th, 2018, 13:40
smokeyyank's Avatar
smokeyyank smokeyyank is offline
XJholic
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Littleton, Crawlarado
Posts: 678
Re: 98 XJ AW4 which transmission filter kit and oil?

Use dex/merc not the ATF+4 or anything else. After the first time I serviced my tranny I used the ATF +4 that was recommended. Long story short tranny hated it and slipped like crazy. Honestly pulling the pan and draining it isn't that hard. Takes maybe a 2 hours to do it all. Also I'd go through Rockauto for parts, Quadratrec thinks their parts are gold plated.

Just this for fluid. Simple Dex/Merc III

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...NhbGU9ZW5fdXM=
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 13th, 2018, 13:51
Greenspan's Avatar
Greenspan Greenspan is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 45
Re: 98 XJ AW4 which transmission filter kit and oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyyank View Post
Use dex/merc not the ATF+4 or anything else. After the first time I serviced my tranny I used the ATF +4 that was recommended. Long story short tranny hated it and slipped like crazy. Honestly pulling the pan and draining it isn't that hard. Takes maybe a 2 hours to do it all. Also I'd go through Rockauto for parts, Quadratrec thinks their parts are gold plated.

Just this for fluid. Simple Dex/Merc III

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/produc...NhbGU9ZW5fdXM=
Yeah, I have been reading the backstory on ATF+4, will def avoid that. After my last post I saw some posts saying Synthetic Transmission fluid is bad too. I'll go with your Pennzoil then. Do you think it's worth it to pull it and replace the filter?

Last edited by Greenspan; February 13th, 2018 at 13:54.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 13th, 2018, 14:45
trippled trippled is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 1,809
Re: 98 XJ AW4 which transmission filter kit and oil?

I would use the mobile oil before I ever use anything from Pennzoil. Seem too many failures from that oil.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old February 14th, 2018, 05:49
cruiser54's Avatar
cruiser54 cruiser54 is offline
NAXJA Forum User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Prescott, Az
Posts: 6,389
Re: 98 XJ AW4 which transmission filter kit and oil?

Just drain and fill with Dex'Merc.

That's not a filter, but a screen to protect the valve body in case of failure.

There is NO interval for changing it.

Unless your pan gasket leaks, or you need solenoids, don't remove the pan.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old February 14th, 2018, 11:13
Greenspan's Avatar
Greenspan Greenspan is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 45
Re: 98 XJ AW4 which transmission filter kit and oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Just drain and fill with Dex'Merc.

That's not a filter, but a screen to protect the valve body in case of failure.

There is NO interval for changing it.

Unless your pan gasket leaks, or you need solenoids, don't remove the pan.
Yeah, good point. I think I've changed my mind and I'm just going to do a fluid change. Do you have any suggestions on Full Synthetic Dex/Merc vs Regular Dex/Merc?

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? Seems good, says Dex/Merc on it; but it is full synthetic

https://www.valvoline.com/our-produc...ti-vehicle-atf

Last edited by Greenspan; February 14th, 2018 at 11:22.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old February 14th, 2018, 14:06
Tim_MN's Avatar
Tim_MN Tim_MN is offline
Freakish Hand Strength
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 6,097
Re: 98 XJ AW4 which transmission filter kit and oil?

The AW-4 is 1980's technology, and works best with a non-synthetic Dexron-III/Mercon fluid which is available everywhere. Pennzoil is fine, as is the generic store brand fluid at the local Farm and Fleet store or WalMart.
__________________
.
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

I'm starting to realize people on the Jeep forums are highly expert mechanics .....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old February 15th, 2018, 09:38
smokeyyank's Avatar
smokeyyank smokeyyank is offline
XJholic
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Littleton, Crawlarado
Posts: 678
Re: 98 XJ AW4 which transmission filter kit and oil?

Yeah any basics dex/merc is fine. Honestly I just use the store brand stuff. I just threw up up the penzoil for reference.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old February 15th, 2018, 09:48
lazyxj's Avatar
lazyxj lazyxj is offline
NAXJA Member #1310
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,168
Re: 98 XJ AW4 which transmission filter kit and oil?

I like to exchange ALL the transmission fluid and have used this method for decades It gets out just about all the old ATF.

Drain the pan and refill with fresh ATF.
Pull the transmission's cooler return line and connect it to one end of a clear hose. Stick the end of the hose into a 1-gallon jug.
Start and idle the engine until 2 quart or so comes out and then turn the engine off.
A helper is useful but not necessary, as the oil is not pumped out very quickly when idling.
Add the same amount of ATF to the transmission filler as what was pumped out.
Make sure to keep an eye on the jug so you do not over fill it.
Repeat the above until the fluid, in the hose, changes from a dirty to a clear red color. You will see the difference when it happens..
Top off the trans fluid, reconnect the cooler line and you are done.
Seal the jugs of used ATF and properly recycle them.

You do use a couple quarts more than what the FSM says the trans holds as the extra ATF flushes the old oil out of the torque converter.
If done right, there is nothing about this that can cause the transmission harm.
__________________
Both XJs are still Real XJs http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...hlight=real+XJ
01 Sport, 4.6L Russ Pottenger. stroker, AW4, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KM2, 4.56-8.25 TruTrac, D-30-E-Locker with alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Frame stiffeners, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
1997 Country, Mostly stock, 2" lift, Engine mods, Towing baseplate
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old February 15th, 2018, 11:52
denverd1's Avatar
denverd1 denverd1 is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 378
Re: 98 XJ AW4 which transmission filter kit and oil?

Hope you never have to pull the oil pan, tranny pan is a breeze.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old February 15th, 2018, 14:11
Greenspan's Avatar
Greenspan Greenspan is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 45
Re: 98 XJ AW4 which transmission filter kit and oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
I like to exchange ALL the transmission fluid and have used this method for decades It gets out just about all the old ATF.

Drain the pan and refill with fresh ATF.
Pull the transmission's cooler return line and connect it to one end of a clear hose. Stick the end of the hose into a 1-gallon jug.
Start and idle the engine until 2 quart or so comes out and then turn the engine off.
A helper is useful but not necessary, as the oil is not pumped out very quickly when idling.
Add the same amount of ATF to the transmission filler as what was pumped out.
Make sure to keep an eye on the jug so you do not over fill it.
Repeat the above until the fluid, in the hose, changes from a dirty to a clear red color. You will see the difference when it happens..
Top off the trans fluid, reconnect the cooler line and you are done.
Seal the jugs of used ATF and properly recycle them.

You do use a couple quarts more than what the FSM says the trans holds as the extra ATF flushes the old oil out of the torque converter.
If done right, there is nothing about this that can cause the transmission harm.
How do you "Pull the transmission's cooler return line and connect it to one end of a clear hose." . I've replaced the radiator before so I know where that is on the radiator but it was a pain to get off, is there a different place you take it off from?

Last edited by Greenspan; February 15th, 2018 at 14:23.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old February 16th, 2018, 08:37
denverd1's Avatar
denverd1 denverd1 is offline
NAXJA Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 378
Re: 98 XJ AW4 which transmission filter kit and oil?

those lines both connect to the trans on passenger side
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transmission remote filter iwannadie Modified Tech Discussion 9 April 30th, 2014 19:58
AW4 Universal Remote B&M Transmission Filter akxj01 Modified Tech Discussion 7 September 24th, 2008 16:48
Auto Transmission Filter PearlCountry OEM Tech Discussion 17 September 5th, 2004 15:49
transmission filter? d10shun OEM Tech Discussion 3 March 3rd, 2004 15:30
inline external transmission filter? Erik the Red Modified Tech Discussion 3 December 12th, 2003 13:20


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
NAXJA and NAXJA logo's Copyright NAXJA. All content/images Copyright NAXJA 1999-2014