NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old February 7th, 2018, 16:15
Degenerate Jeeper

Fuse for OBD-II port?

I seem to be getting no power to the OBD-II port in my '99 Limited, 4.0.* I find no fuse under the hood marked "OBD," and the owners manual diagram for the fuse block behind the passenger-side kick panel doesn't show an OBD fuse. Is there a fuse? If so, where is it and how is it marked?

Any help would be appreciated.

* Either that or my ELM327 dongle has stopped functioning.
Old February 7th, 2018, 20:58
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Fuse for OBD-II port?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
I seem to be getting no power to the OBD-II port in my '99 Limited, 4.0.* I find no fuse under the hood marked "OBD," and the owners manual diagram for the fuse block behind the passenger-side kick panel doesn't show an OBD fuse. Is there a fuse? If so, where is it and how is it marked?

Any help would be appreciated.

* Either that or my ELM327 dongle has stopped functioning.

FSM shows is being fuse 17 in the PDC under the hood, which also feeds the headlight switch and the power antenna. If it's a chinese elm327 knockoff, it might be dead.
Old February 7th, 2018, 21:06
Degenerate Jeeper

Great info! Thanks very much!
Old February 8th, 2018, 13:27
Degenerate Jeeper

I tested the ELM327 transmitter in another vehicle. It connected via wifi without a hitch and sent data. So it works.

The fuse slots in my PDC are not numbered, but I pulled and visually examined every fuse and they all seem to be fine. But the ELM327 still doesn't send a wifi signal when connected to the OBD port. Also, the lights on the device stay dark, indicating no activity.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited by Nimrod; February 8th, 2018 at 13:30.
Old February 8th, 2018, 15:03
NAXJA Member

Usually the cigarette lighter fuse runs the dlc. Did you check all the interior fuses? I use a test light. Faster and easier.
Old February 8th, 2018, 15:09
Degenerate Jeeper

I haven't checked the interior fuses. But I do know that the cigarette lighter and the accessory power supply both work. So if one of those fuses protects the OBD output port , the fuse is not the issue.

I'll keep hunting. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old February 13th, 2018, 17:37
Degenerate Jeeper

I took the Jeep in for a smog test today. The technician plugged his scanner into the OBD-II port and it linked up without a problem. So I guess my ELM327 device works fine with my DD but just isn't on speaking terms anymore with the XJ. Go figure.