• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pattern check please

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
What do you think?

<- click to supersize!

r@m

Okie Terry said:
Looks like Tennessee to me.

AKA: good.
So, not bad for a first attempt at setting up gears?

Feel free to stroke my ego, LOL

r@m

For used gears, the pattern looks pretty good, but the crap on the edge of the ring gear surfaces looks suspicious. Did you get water in the oil at some time?

The next question, did you pull them just to take a pix?????????:jester:

"The next question, did you pull them just to take a pix?????"

I was thinking the same thing. You went through all the work to setup the gears...to take them all the way back out and start over?

No, no - didn't pull them to show the pattern - pulled them to sell.

I'm kinda puzzled by the comment "looks good for used gears". What do you mean by that? How do used gears set up differently? Curious about that.

The gears were new, installed in an axle about 4 years ago (IIRC). Never run power through them (never finished the project/axle). I decided to sell them because they are no longer going to be used with that project vehicle. The "crud" you see is probably dust/dirt from sitting on my workbench in the barn. Never seen water, zero fatigue cycles, etc., etc. Or, the "crud" maybe just the extra pattern paste that squeezed out during the gear setup. Being my first setup I went a little "nutty" with the amount of paste I used. And the stuff that came with the set up package kinda sucked as well - almost the consistency of chunky vaseline. If you were to wash the gears in the tank they would look 100% pristine.

r@m

Last edited:
Back