• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunk, clunk durring right turn acceleration

carruz

NAXJA Forum User
'01 XJ, 3.5 lift, 1" tranny drop, auto tranny, np231, 31" tires, 140k miles, well serviced and maintained I'm getting a quick clunk, clunk, clunk noise when turning right from a stop and only when turning up a hill either w/ a slight grade or steep not on flat terrain. Occurs on road or off when I accelerate quickly not roll out of the stop appearing to generate from the rear. All mounts look to be in good shape but the exhaust flange (by the catalytic converter) is pretty darn close to the transfer case skid plate though it doesn't appear that the clunk is coming from this location and when I give the exhaust system a good shake I can't duplicate the noise. Not sure if the any engine torque is pulling the exhaust over to make the clunk. Just wondering if this could be binding on the slip yoke, u joint or leaf spring/shackle issue.

Greatly appreciate any suggestions.

sounds like it might be a u joint. jack up the frt end and move the frt tires back and forth. if there is exssive play (you can usually see it ) its the frt u joints. rotate the drive shaft same gig if you see or feel play its the shaft u joints. if not you rulled out the u joints.... good luck

check your motor mounts and u-joints the back you will definately have to jack it up to chekc them the front you should just be able to grab and move the front DS a little bit and look if there is play @ the axle u-joints. A loos trackbar could also be making some clunks as well

Do you have a locker? I have the same type of noise but coming from the left front. And it seamed to start about the time I installed my Lock Rite.

I recently installed a new adjustable front track bar and have been tightening that regularly but this specific noise started before that. No front locker. I'll run a check on the u joints this weekend as well as recheck the motor mounts. I'm hoping it's something as simple as the exhaust flange hitting the transfer case skid plate. Love chasing gremlins!

Thanks for the help!

Back