• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CPS bolt in the bellhousing....

vegard

NAXJA Forum User
oops.......

I just need to vent somewhere. I guess tomorrow the transmission will have to be unbolted...... My new cps sensor didnt come with a shield, and I didnt have one on there....

Im dreading this.
DOH

- Vegard, 89 4.0 auto

No need to unbolt the tranny. Just pull the dust shield on the lower front of the bell housing. A 5 minute process.
party1:

Pack the socket with grease before you stick it on the bolt, and keep the socket down on the bolt head until the bolt is all the way in the socket.

Once the bolt is loose, carefully pull it back so you don't drop the bolt. The grease will help.

The same trick will also help when reinstalling the bolts - but it's a lot easier to notch the CPS bracket with a Dremel and a cutting wheel before you install it. That allows you to install the bolts without fighting with the sensor, set the sensor on the bolts, and then tighten the bolts. Make your life easy...

5-90

Hmmm. I gotta do this tomorrow too and when I looked there today, I was like "wtf? someone put a flap in my transmission?"

So the plastic flap aka dust shield has to come off before the sensor comes out and then goes back on after the new sensor goes on?

On mine there was no flap, but from what I remember, they kind of clip together and go on as one piece.

lilredwagn said:
So the plastic flap aka dust shield has to come off before the sensor comes out and then goes back on after the new sensor goes on?
Not necessarily - the CPS should be able to come out without removing the flap. Mine did, but I also had the t-case off and the tranny dropped a few inches so I'd actually have room to reach up there and remove the CPS.

I dropped the tranny a couple inches too, it only takes like 2 minutes to zip off the crossmember bolts/nuts. Anyway, I dint hear the bolt fall all the way to the bottom, I already peeled back the dust shield some. Maybe Ill try shaking the car. Im hesitant to blip the starter!

- Vegard

vegard said:
I dropped the tranny a couple inches too, it only takes like 2 minutes to zip off the crossmember bolts/nuts. Anyway, I dint hear the bolt fall all the way to the bottom, I already peeled back the dust shield some. Maybe Ill try shaking the car. Im hesitant to blip the starter!

- Vegard

Turn the engine over by hand!

JoBo

theyre used to it... with a car restoration in progress, a boat just finished, and fabricationg for the jeep..... the trick is to take them waterskiing and fix stuff for them.

changing the cps sensor is'nt really that hard just get a 6'' extention and a swivel and away you go its in the 11'o clock position on the bell houseing if you drop a bolt in the bell houseing just remove the lower inspection plate (like 6 bolts, easy to acess) and put a teliscopic magnetic thinngy in there and it should grab the bolt.just make sure to zip tie the cps wire AWAY from the exhast manafold! or ealse the heat will cause the wire to burn and it will corrode VERRY fast.

Back