• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

unknown motor running after engine turned off

ibjeepin821

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys me again and thank you all for your help with my overheating problem. Another problem has arose and it couldnt have come at a worse time. im in a different state at my girlfriends house so i hope this isnt too bad of a problem. i went to move my jeep and I when i turned the 89 cherokee 4.0 off a motor or something kept running.mind you it is 12 at night so i cant really do much. its not the fan because I have that on a seperate switch since i recently converted from a closed cooling system to an open system. the sounds seems to be coming from the lower part of the engine but I can not say for sure. I couldnt get it to go off and finaly just pulled the positive from the battery and it shut off. if anyone can help me please do. I have no idea what this could be and I could use some help. thanks!!!!also when i tried to start the jeep after i heard the motor (or what seems to be a motor) it wouldnt turn over...could this be related or just a dead spot in the starter?? it has happened before but i just put a new one in and that was fixed. anyway please help me with the unknown motor!!

If it's a real high whine type of motor noise your starter solonoid is probably stuck on somehow. That's the only motor down near the bottom of the engine. If it is, you're going to have to replace the starter or rebuild the solonoid. Check your ring gear teeth on the flex plate/fly wheel. You might not like what you find. . .

Back