• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flash Flood + XJ = No more Jeep

casm

NAXJA Forum User
Welp, got caught in a flash flood last night in Big Tujunga Canyon and as a result no longer own an XJ. For all I know it's either halfway to Mexico by now, or exactly where I left it - hard to tell, given that I was a bit more concerned with getting out of the rapid water and back onto land at the time. Here's hoping the insurance company is nice to me and I can go get another one soon.

Be careful in this weather. This stuff can sneak up on you like you wouldn't believe.

Just so you all might know about flash floods...
Today...I was watching the Palm Canyon wash.....it has been
raining a bit out here in the Dez if you hadn't noticed...
some water was running thru it...not as much as I had exspected
but as I was watching I heard some noise from upsteam...
and bam!! A rush of water... higher then the present flow
came rumbling past....and no sooner than it came....it went.
If I was parked closer to the river bank I would also be wondering
about my insurance too...

GSequoia said:
Ouch! Glad you're okay man. Musta been cold!

Thanks... Yeah, it was not a fun experience. I'll try to get some pictures up in the next day or two (assuming the XJ's still there) of the aftermath, but there are few things in life less enjoyable than having to make a choice between sitting on top of your Jeep in swift water and wait for it to tip over, or jump into the water and take your chances now.

I hope this was an "Oh shit" got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time vs. an error in judgement situation.

casm said:
Thanks... Yeah, it was not a fun experience. I'll try to get some pictures up in the next day or two (assuming the XJ's still there) of the aftermath, but there are few things in life less enjoyable than having to make a choice between sitting on top of your Jeep in swift water and wait for it to tip over, or jump into the water and take your chances now.

Damn, I was thinking about doing that with my wifes POS Camery! 'wink' wink'
But I know I'll get BACHI' (Bad Karma) later!

Scott

karstic said:
I hope this was an "Oh shit" got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time vs. an error in judgement situation.

Very much wrong place, wrong time. I was crossing a ford with approximately 6" of water in it when I got nailed side-on (driver's side) by a 3' wall of water. Literally just picked me up and carried me right off the edge of the ford - I got deposited on the rocks that were about 2' below, hence the water up over the top of the XJ.

I used to live in that area when I was a kid, and have been going up there for years when I just need to get out for a couple of hours. Believe me, I remember very clearly seeing half a swimming pool being carried downstream in the main river during the 1980 floods (as well as entire cars, patio furniture, etc.). As a result, I've got a very healthy respect for what mother nature can do when she wants to - in this case though, she decided to do it faster than I could accelerate.

Last of the XJ said:
Glad you are safe and sound. I couldn't imagine watching my vehicle (or home) get swallowed up by water. It would be like watching it die in slow mo.

Thanks... That's pretty much how I felt as I was jumping off of it. Still, it didn't let me die, so I've got rather a lot of respect for that. I think I may take the 60th Anniversary badges off of it tomorrow as a reminder.

Other than that, I'm just hoping for a speedy resolution from the insurance company so that I can go out and get another one. The old saying is right, though... A Jeep Ain't A Submarine.

Jump This said:
Pictures yet?

Working on it. If I can get up there today, we'll have some soon.

I've was in the same situation as a kid motorhoming it with my family. As you said: wall of water, too fast to outrun. Our motorhome got tossed like a toy. Not fun. But a Jeep is relatively easily replaced not like a life. Glad to hear you got our ok. Now's a good opportunity to make any changes to your new jeep that you didn't like about the old.

Good luck with the insurance company (will the auto or home ins. cover the eel skin cowboy boots, rolex and leather briefcase that were in the back?) :gag:
Cherokid
Good wheelin' to ya.

Cherokid said:
I've was in the same situation as a kid motorhoming it with my family. As you said: wall of water, too fast to outrun. Our motorhome got tossed like a toy. Not fun. But a Jeep is relatively easily replaced not like a life. Glad to hear you got our ok. Now's a good opportunity to make any changes to your new jeep that you didn't like about the old.

Thanks... It's good to hear from someone who's been in the same boat (no pun intended; as I've learned, Jeep makes the worst boats in the world :) To be honest, I'm going to have a hard time replacing this one - apart from a few features it didn't have, I was really fond of it. I guess that this time I get to try to find one with as much of the factory stuff that I wanted and do the same work to it I'd planned for the first one.

Good luck with the insurance company (will the auto or home ins. cover the eel skin cowboy boots, rolex and leather briefcase that were in the back?) :gag:

No, it was my collection of Picassos, Faberge eggs, and Gullwing Mercedes in the load area that I miss ;)

In all seriousness, I've been advised to not post photos until after all this is resolved with the insurance company. Not to keep anyone in suspense, but this may be good advice at this time. As soon as I can, I'll make them available.

Good wheelin' to ya.

Same to you, and thanks for the good words.

I just saw a lifted chero last night but didn't think to get his info. What are you looking for? Maybe someone local will see something right that doesn't hit the usual adds.
Cherokid

Jump This said:
Have you been able to exstract it yet?

Not yet... The insurance company hasn't been returning my calls, and with today being a holiday they're closed. Until they let me know where the carcass is meant to end up, I'm loathe to remove it - their adjusters haven't even seen it yet.

Cherokid said:
What are you looking for? Maybe someone local will see something right that doesn't hit the usual adds.

It's going to depend largely on whatever the payout on it ends up being, but I'm really thinking that I'd just like another 2001 (or 2000, depending on condition - I want that distributorless ignition). If possible, finding one with the NP242 would be a plus, as would cruise control and fog lights, neither of which mine had. The tow package would also be nice, since that would take care of the tranny cooler.

But, yeah... Until they put a cheque in my hands, it's all academic. Really, I'd just like mine back. I was very fond of it.

karstic said:
Any before hand pics?

Let me see if I can't dig some up... I've apparently got the adjuster coming out today, so it may take a while.

So... After the insurance company failed to return my calls last week and then promptly gave the appraiser the wrong phone number for me this week, we finally got out to the XJ today.

These photos were taken last Thursday, before the scavengers got to it and shattered/broke most of the glass and stole anything that wasn't screwed or bolted down. As much as I despise scum who do things like that, I do take some measure of enjoyment from the fact that a) they tried to steal a stereo that had been in silty water for three days, and b) the spare happened to be on the rim with the *bad* bends in it that barely held air. Oh, and they didn't have the brains to look under the back seat, not that anything of any further use was left under there.

Anyway, here're the 'after' shots: http://tinyurl.com/4mglq .

casm said:
So... After the insurance company failed to return my calls last week and then promptly gave the appraiser the wrong phone number for me this week, we finally got out to the XJ today.

These photos were taken last Thursday, before the scavengers got to it and shattered/broke most of the glass and stole anything that wasn't screwed or bolted down. As much as I despise scum who do things like that, I do take some measure of enjoyment from the fact that a) they tried to steal a stereo that had been in silty water for three days, and b) the spare happened to be on the rim with the *bad* bends in it that barely held air. Oh, and they didn't have the brains to look under the back seat, not that anything of any further use was left under there.

Anyway, here're the 'after' shots: http://tinyurl.com/4mglq .

That sucks.... is the insurance taking care of you now?

Kejtar said:
That sucks.... is the insurance taking care of you now?

We'll see how that goes. Today was just the appraiser, but he basically called it a write-off due to the extent to which it was flooded. Once again, though, the adjuster isn't returning my calls or answering his phone, so my confidence in them is waning. I'll decline from mentioning the name of the insurance company at this point, but they are oe of the larger ones. If there's no forward motion on their behalf by lunchtime tomorrow, I'm going to start going up in the their management food chain until I get to someone who will deal with this properly.

Back