• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 xj aux fan still running after engine turned off

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
97 xj 4.0 aw4. Had the AC recharged today and was idling in a parking lot with the ac running. Turned motor off and the aux fan keeps running. Ideas?

Is there a fuse I can pull to shut the fan off so it doesn't drain my battery until I can fix the problem?

Thanks

it doesn't stop? how long stop at all? hmm. there should be no power going to it at all. Probly not a problem with the fan itself.

Fan relay has stuck. Pull the relay and replace it.

97, I would say in the PDC.

It's #4 in the pic.
DSCF5572.jpg

It's #4 in the pic.
DSCF5572.jpg

The picture that was posted in previous post should be very helpful to you. I had the same problem almost 2 years ago. I went to NAPA and got the part for 14.99. Fixed the problem.

HERE IS THE PART #:
Cooling Fan Relay (10/14/08) NAPA Echlin #AR272 @ 14.99.
(Original #56006709/ 50732/ 0127AB.)
(2 others in PCC had the same number.)

There are 2 other relays in the PCC with the same number. You may want to borrow one to test in the #4 location to confirm the problem, but I would be 99% sure that replacing the relay will fix your problem.

Cheap enough to fix.

Hope this helps-

Either the fan relay stuck or you bought the jeep from someone who had a heat soak issue with it and installed a fan timer to keep it from happening. Swap the fuel pump and fan relays, if the problem goes away, replace the relay that you just put in the fuel pump relay socket.

No heat soak on 97s (conventional 1 cat exhaust), and the timer is probably the least common fix for that anyway. I'll wager stuck relay.

Occasionally one does show up with heat soak... it's rare though.

I would also agree that a stuck relay is the most likely reason.

Back