• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Torque converter lock up and RPM range

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
For those of you who are sure that your torque converter does actually lock up, I am curious as to the observed RPM range that you can get, once it locks up, by adjusting the throttle before you feel the torque converter unlock?

If you increase the throttle say 10 to 20% after it locks up, do you see the engine rpm change by 200 to 300 rpm immediately? or does the rpm change very, very slowly.

Just how locked up do these AW4 torque converters lock up?

For anyone who knows, if a torgue converter is locking up, but slipping what would be the obvious signs, if any?

I think I see about a 200 rpm upper and lower range jump in my rpm from a steady state vehicle speed when I accelerate or decelerate slowly, when my torque converter is supposedly locked up, but I am having a hard time with the physics of this if the torque converter is truely locked up.

When these torque converters lock up, is it a true direct drive at that point, or some suedo direct drive with some slippage still allowed????

Usually a torque converter locks up on cruise and its supposed to lock completely like a manual clutch. When you accelerate its supposed to unlock to allow for torque multiplication, either that or it will unlock and downshift.

Back