• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling the Trigger on AC replacement?

GriffyorCono

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone,

I'm currently going through a rebuild on a 1995 jeep xj with 4.0 and manual trans.
I was talking to my father in-law and we're discussing the idea of a full AC overhaul and if I would be fine without doing a complete overhaul. I have bought everything except the heater core, evap core, and the fan. He told me those three things are going to be essential because the heater core is going to clog my rad and if it doesn't clog it at some point it is going to start leaking and he said if the ac evap core doesn't already leak that if theres any gunk in it it'll blow up one of my ac hoses. I see his logic but honestly I wanna get the Jeep finished and don't want to have to remove the dash cause its just a pain. So my question is can I still do the job right without replacing these last couple parts?

Thank you everyone,

Right is a matter of opinion. To be complete and correct, yeah you should replace everything. I too have a 95 and when I replaced the engine last year I changed everything but the heater core and although it didn't clog the new radiator the sludge that had clogged the radiator had clogged the heater core and no matter how hard ive tried my heat is extremely sub-par. And that sucks for someone who has to drive around with their window down no matter the weather! Hopefully I'll get to do mine soon and im going to do the evap at the same time. Unfortunately RHD stuff is half again to twice as expensive as LHD stuff and sometimes hard to source. If you have the time and funds do it now, probably best for the long term.

Well, it depends on how well they were maintained over the years.

My '88 still has the original core and evap. I keep my coolant fresh and properly mixed (as best as I can). When I change out a component like the water pump or radiator, I take all the hoses off and flush fresh water through the thermostat housing and core, inspect all hoses and replace as needed.

My AC compressor seized some years ago and I did a total overhaul. New compressor, condenser, expansion valve, dryer, swapped out all the orings. Flushed all the lines and evap.

Both systems still work great.

For what it's worth, my '92 is still on its original heater core and compressor(knock on wood I haven't jinxed myself), but I've been through 3 or so evaporators as the road salt here in the NE takes a toll on them since they're in front of the radiator.

I've also been converted to R134 on the original R12 hardware for at least 15 years.

Thank you,

Unclewolverine

Saudade

Rob Mayercik

I've decided based on my impatience to get everything completed and the fact that it seem to be possible for an original to work for plenty of time that I will be cleaning everything very very well and continuing with original as long as possible. I know this will not please my father in law.... But heck I think he will survive, it aint his Jeep XD.

God bless you all and thank you for your input, it is much appreciated,

Back