NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 1st, 2011, 21:29
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Durango Steering Mod

Old December 1st, 2011, 22:04
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Z View Post

Camera angles not exactly the same probably... basically spot on with stock
Old December 1st, 2011, 22:31
NAXJA Forum User

I've heard you need the NON plow box... can anyone comfirm this?
Old December 2nd, 2011, 08:37
Bacon...that is all

if it comes out of a 98 yes. All 99s were the same.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 09:20
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean4drxj View Post
Yeah from what all the forums are saying... Get the one without the plow setup cause it has two spacers on both sides of the cylinder that restrict your steering and have to be removed in order to restore normal lock to lock. Some guys prefer this because the tires they run will rub on LCA or suspension parts, so this prevents that... IMO thats basically the only good reason to go with the plow option, but you could just get wheel spacers if thats a problem... I'm gonna go with the Non plow option 99+ myself.
Old December 2nd, 2011, 10:44
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean4drxj View Post
I went with the NON plow option and will need to remove the spacer and tabs to get my turning radius back. Just trying to determine what the difference is on the plow optioned box. I've "heard" through the grapevine that it is tapped for hydro lines, but don't take that as gospel. whether or not the turning radius is better, is yet to be determined as far as i know. -B
Old December 3rd, 2011, 09:03
NAXJA Forum User

Sorry no answer on 98 snow plow package Box. As I took the old one out I realized it was a agr performance box so I sent it back to have it rebuilt for 220$$
Old December 3rd, 2011, 09:16
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOUNTAIN XJ View Post
Sorry no answer on 98 snow plow package Box. As I took the old one out I realized it was a agr performance box so I sent it back to have it rebuilt for 220$$
The mystery continues. oh well, i'll just do the spacer removal mod then. Thanks for letting us know. -B
Old December 6th, 2011, 23:58
NAXJA Forum User

good stuff
Old December 11th, 2011, 15:02
NAXJA Forum User

Mystery Solved!!!

I swapped out the Durango box without the snowplow option for the one WITH the snowplow option...WOW! Turning radius is back AND i can turn the 35" MT/R Kevlar's mounted on 15x10 steelies with one finger! Feels like i'm running 25" tires! Amazing!
Part#277580 No need to do any mod to this box. Thus the PLOW option IS the you want and NOT the other way around. I have personally ran both now. This box with an 04 WJ pump is awesome! -B

PS: neither box is pre-tapped for hydro.

Last edited by boomhauer; December 11th, 2011 at 15:08.
Old December 11th, 2011, 15:07
Bacon...that is all

weird...mine's for sure a non-plow (99 Durango) and it had the same effects. Maybe the other one was not holding enough pressure?
Old December 11th, 2011, 15:11
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie564 View Post
weird...mine's for sure a non-plow (99 Durango) and it had the same effects. Maybe the other one was not holding enough pressure?
No , it was fine, just felt the same as the old xj box, no worse, no better. The amount of turns from lock to lock on the non-plow is 2 15/16, and for the Plow it is 3 3/8. the throw is definitely greater on the plow box. it never made sense why the nonplow would be the recommended one. seems if a plow is on the front you'd need more power, which this box has in spades! -B
Old December 11th, 2011, 16:33
NAXJA Forum User

Mystery is not solved. People have purchased both options (w/ And without the snowplow option) and have had randomly different boxes either the 3 or 3.5 turns. The last one I bought was with the snowplow and it came 3 turns lock to lock.

It has been luck of the draw with these things.
Old December 11th, 2011, 16:36
NAXJA Member

Location: Central MA - keep going till the road turns to dirt, then listen for banjos

I don't actually know what the one in my jeep is. I got it secondhand from a friend and threw it in and it works, so I didn't mess with it any further. I suppose I could count turns of the steering wheel but that would require me to remember next time I'm in it.
CTeunuch: Sometimes I really wonder if this sport makes you insane, or it just attracts the mentally unstable.
Old December 11th, 2011, 19:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cracker View Post
Mystery is not solved. People have purchased both options (w/ And without the snowplow option) and have had randomly different boxes either the 3 or 3.5 turns. The last one I bought was with the snowplow and it came 3 turns lock to lock.

It has been luck of the draw with these things.
Well as far as i'm concerned it is. if you buy a reman using the part # 277580 you will get the plow option with the benefits i mentioned.
if you buy the reman using part# 277588, you will get the non-plow with the bad turning radius and less power. plain and simple. after buying and trying both part numbers i can attest to this. one thing to note; there is no difference in the numbers stamped on the case, so if you grab your box from the wrecker you won't know which is which until you try the gear itself. but if you buy a reman using the correct part number, i'm betting you'll see the same results. i also found that the plow option is only available on the 98 Durango and not the 99. -B